Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Azalea

4 posters

Go down

New Azalea Empty New Azalea

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Howzit Guys,
Just got this "Kuzon" azalea in today from California. Very Happy

Question, can I repot this now in a grow box or should I wait till it stops blooming?

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
New Azalea Img_0410
New Azalea Img_0411
New Azalea Img_0412
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

New Azalea Empty Re: New Azalea

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 pm

I'd pot it now. Clean the soil off the bottom of the rootball (don't bare root it, though, because asalea have too many fibrous roots for that. Pot it into a shallow pot/box that is maybe twice the diameter of that pot.

There don't appear to be many buds, so what blooming it's doing now won't waken it, but I'd still cut off the flowers and any remaining buds. Keep it out of the trade winds for a while after repotting, and part sun will be best for it down in the ropics -- where azalea don't do too well. You're OK if you live at elevation. Sea level may be a problem.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Mahalo Jim for the advice. thumbs up

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Tim,
Was this azalea on Ebay? I believe I may have considered purchasing this one myself. From your posts you seem to be on the same learning path that I am following for my bonsai adventure. I have another azalea that I purchased this spring which was in wa 1 gallon pot and severely root bound. As soon as the flowers began to fade I removed them and their buds and repotted. Although the tree is looking sgraggly and has a very long way to go it has produced new growth and is backbudding some. I reduced the root mass by nearly 70% and then fed. I have also used the spaghnum moss covering for the soil as described in another post about azaleas. I admire you enthusiasm for this hobby. Good luck with this and all of your trees.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:42 pm

A "BiG" Mahalo Todd, ThumbsUp
Yes it was. This is the first time I ever order from them. They sent it out on Monday and by Thursday it came in. They also did a good job on packing. Also, I want to share another website with you that is also good and have a nice selection of azaleas.

http://www.bonsaietc.com/index.htm
http://essenceofthetree.com/

This one I got from bonsaietc.com it's a "Niigara Kirin". They to are great at packing and shipping.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
New Azalea Img_0353
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Tim,

The correct name for this one is "kazan", it's sometimes called "kaku-ba chinzan", and incorrectly called "rukizan".

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Much Mahalo for the correction Russell. ThumbsUp When I was this on ebay it was spelled that way.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down