Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forsythia

+10
Paul B [Swindon]
Todd Ellis
moyogijohn
bonsainotwar
andy mcconnell
craigw
Dale Cochoy
Michael T
Kev Bailey
Tom Simonyi
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Forsythia - Page 2 Empty Re: Forsythia

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Unfortunately the tree did not survive this past winter....
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:Unfortunately the tree did not survive this past winter....  

Welcome to the winter disasters of 2013--2014 club. I lost two nice Mugos that I have had for years. That wont happen again.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:51 pm

I hear you loud and clear, my friend....it won't happen again with what is left of my temperate tree collection either....
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:I hear you loud and clear, my friend....it won't happen again with what is left of my temperate tree collection either....

For at least the last ten years or so,  the winters have been rather mild, by comparison to this last one.  I let myself get lulled into a sense of thinking all of the winter precautions were not so necessary as I had been doing them.  Last winter proved that to be a necessity after all.  Two to three weeks with temperatures below Zero "F"  with days at twenty below zero proved a disaster to a couple of pretty good trees.  Nothing else seemed a problem.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Forsythia - Page 2 Empty Winter preparations?

Post  Wander Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 pm

May I ask what you will be doing differently this winter Vance? Winter scares me, I like to hear about everyone else's preparations.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:28 am

Wander wrote:May I ask what you will be doing differently this winter Vance?  Winter scares me, I like to hear about everyone else's preparations.  

I am going to be providing more protection from the wind. I used to put everything crammed in on each other where one tree sheltred another so that the only ones I really had to concern myself with were the trees on the outside. I used to build barriers of bails of straw and burlap, a practice I had found unnecessary until not. I don't think the bails of straw are important but most certainly the barriers of burlap to keep direct wind off and diminish the effects of light early in the spring at a time when winter is not done but the sun wants to shine.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2