Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does aerial roots start?

+4
bonsaisr
Rob Addonizio
Fuzzy
OscarIndigo
8 posters

Go down

Where does aerial roots start? Empty Where does aerial roots start?

Post  OscarIndigo Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm

How do you get aerial roots to start grow?
Where do they start from on ficus retusa? i have seen very much white "dots" on the trunk, is that it or is it any other sings of aerial roots?

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Where does aerial roots start? Empty Re: Where does aerial roots start?

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Wrap a branch in damp sphagnum moss for a few weeks then check for signs of Aerial roots. Just an experiment but it might work. The white bumps may be lentisels that the tree uses to breathe with. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Oscar,
When are an inch or so long you can place them into straws packed with moss and they can then grow down into the soil. Make sure that you cut the straw lengthwise first, otherwise it will be rather difficult to remove later.

Rob

PS, keep these roots in check. If they get too thick you may have reverse taper in spots where they come out of the main trunk.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Where does aerial roots start? Empty Aerial Roots

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:48 am

You are not likely to get any aerial roots in Sweden. They require a long growing season, heat, & very high humidity, like a terrarium.. I gather your Ficus microcarpa (the correct name) is hardly more than a rooted cutting. It will have to be years old before you can think about aerial roots. Show us a picture of it.
Yes, the white dots are lenticels (breathing pores). If they make a distinctive pattern on the bark, what you have is tiger bark fig, F. microcarpa 'Kinmen."
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:48 pm

I trying to find our camera, but when i find it i can post a pic.
And it's no cutting, i just bought it to experiment on since i find out that it's more forgiving than a benjamina.
It looks like those ficus microcarpa 'ginseng' with these swollen up exposed roots.

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 pm

bonsaisr wrote:You are not likely to get any aerial roots in Sweden. They require a long growing season, heat, & very high humidity, like a terrarium.. I gather your Ficus microcarpa (the correct name) is hardly more than a rooted cutting. It will have to be years old before you can think about aerial roots. Show us a picture of it.
Yes, the white dots are lenticels (breathing pores). If they make a distinctive pattern on the bark, what you have is tiger bark fig, F. microcarpa 'Kinmen."
Iris
I can just put on a plastic 'tent' over the fig and see if there is any sings of aerial roots

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Jerry Meislik writes on hes website that aerial roots arise from small bumps on the trunk.
http://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/InfoBanyanficus.html

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 am

Yes, and i was thinking that in the wintertime here it is just daylight some few hours a day in the winter and jerry writes that they need shade and moisture inviorment; and therefor the plastic tent Very Happy

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:14 pm

They can seem to start anywhere on a tree as long as it is shaded, humid and hot.

See this post for some images on one of my Ficus microcarpa.
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-f1/the-attack-of-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-twilight-zombie-silkworms-t3486.htm
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:46 am

I have gotten them on India Banyan indoors using sphagnum, but it takes nearly a year.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:17 am

Some Ficus varieties are much quicker to put out aerial roots than others. My most prolific producer of aerial roots is F. natalinsis. This makes sense since it is a "strangler fig." Strangler figs are planted as seeds in the top of other trees by bird poop, they then send roots to the ground and eventually take over (Kill) the host tree.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Billy
You correctly say that often the seeds of Ficus Natalensis germinate in the forks of larger trees due to birds eating the fruit and dropping the seeds in the fork. As a result of humid conditions these trees can grow for a long time in the fork of the ‘host’ tree while sending down roots to the ground. I’ve posted the first picture before that indicates this scenario. In this case the ‘host’ tree has actually died due to being strangled. Eventually he will rot away leaving the Fig with a type of hollow trunk. In South Africa we have people attempting to grow this style in bonsai. I place a second photo showing the same thing happening.
Jaco

Where does aerial roots start? Stangl10

Where does aerial roots start? Stangl11

Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down