Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nearly That Time Again

+17
anttal63
chansen
JimLewis
Ed van der Reek
Rob Kempinski
nguyen75
Harleyrider
bonsaistud
OscarIndigo
Stone Monkey
Mike Jones
Ian Warhurst
landerloos
Hans van Meer.
Paul B (Scotland)
fiona
wabashene
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Nearly That Time Again Empty Nearly That Time Again

Post  wabashene Sun May 30, 2010 1:48 pm

World Cup approaching fast reminded me of these

Very Happy

Thks

TimR
Nearly That Time Again World_10
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Nearly That Time Again Empty Re: Nearly That Time Again

Post  fiona Sun May 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Remind me. What's the World Cup again? Sad
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Sun May 30, 2010 3:14 pm

The term World Cup means little to me too Fiona........wonder why Rolling Eyes
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun May 30, 2010 5:04 pm

A lot to do with Scotland having beggar all chance of ever being there.

We would always win any future world competition that involves stealing their wheels then putting cars up on bricks.

Oh no wait- the Scousers would win that hands down!

Only joking guys! Honestly! Razz
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Nearly That Time Again Empty THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun May 30, 2010 10:10 pm

They all play for the best teams, all over Europe! And now they finally all come together as one in Africa!

Nearly That Time Again Bgoad014

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!! WHOOOHAAHAHA Ha ha! Dance lol!

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon May 31, 2010 6:20 am

Hans van Meer. wrote:They all play for the best teams, all over Europe! And now they finally all come together as one in Africa!

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hans what hits me every time is, that if you call people in the netherlands for hollanders "dutch" they say no we are nederlanders, but as soon as the team plays they call them selfs hollanders.
Strange as only holland is a part of the Netherlands roughly all above the moerdijk scratch

Well I'm not interested in soccer anyway.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm

landerloos wrote:
Hans van Meer. wrote:They all play for the best teams, all over Europe! And now they finally all come together as one in Africa!

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Hans what hits me every time is, that if you call people in the netherlands for hollanders "dutch" they say no we are nederlanders, but as soon as the team plays they call them selfs hollanders.
Strange as only holland is a part of the Netherlands roughly all above the moerdijk scratch

Well I'm not interested in soccer anyway.

Peter

Hi Peter,
yes I do understand that this could be confusing to foreigners, hell even most people from "The Kingdom of the Netherlands" dont know there own history.
So I would like to take this opportunity to shine some light on the difference between "Holland" and "The Netherlands", so that people all over the world will know the deal about the next world football champions! cheers

Holland vs the Netherlands. (source:worldatlas.com)

There is often confusion about Holland. Some people call the Netherlands, Holland, but it is not the same. Holland is only a small part of the Netherlands and there are two: There's "North-Holland" (Capital city is Haarlem) and "South-Holland" (Capital city is The Hague).

Holland used to be an independent country. It had a "Count", its own coinage (until the 19th century), its own measuring units and time - but it gave up that independence in the 16th century, when it allied with the Northern and Southern Netherlands against the armies of the King of Spain whom at the time was officially the "Count of Holland" and ruled over this whole area.

The main reasons for war were religious differences, disputes over taxes and the fact that when some cities wanted to break free, the King's army was quite brutal to civilians.

Eventually the Southern Netherlands gave up the fight and stayed occupied by foreign forces until 1830. That area is now called Belgium. The Northern Netherlands fought on and won. cheers Then, along with the counties of (Holland, Drente, Groningen, Friesland, Gelderland, Zeeland and Utrecht) became a free Republic, including the occupied regions of Brabant and Limburg.

All these counties (called provinces today, together with some new ones) are now called "The Kingdom of the Netherlands."

Today the province of Limburg still has a Governor and to say to someone from Limburg or Friesland that he or she is from Holland, is considered an insult to some. They are not! They consider themselves to be from the Netherlands. Like the "Welsh" in Great Britain, people from the province of Friesland have their own (Fries) language.

People from other Provinces (except North and South Holland) will perhaps not consider it a real insult, but still they're not from Holland.

In summary, Holland gave up its individual independence a very long time ago, so calling the Netherlands "Holland", is much like calling Great Britain "England" or United states of America " America. It is wrong, but a lot of people do this!

Now because this all is so confusing to us and most foreigners, some were back in time, when ever our National sports teams are playing in any kind of sport, we started to shout "HOLLAND, HOLLAND!" during international sporting events. Than the name "HOLLAND" is excepted by all Netherlanders as a united battle cry to push our teams to greater heights! And you must admit that "HOLLAND, HOLLAND!" sounds a lot better to shout than " NEDERLAND, NEDERLAND!"

So yes we are Nederlanders (Dutch) from the "The Kingdom of the Netherlands" (The Netherlands), but during international team sporting events we shout "HOLLAND, HOLLAND!" cheers cheers
So there you have it. the name of the next world champions of football.... HOLLAND!!!!! cheers cheers cheers

Nearly That Time Again Hollan10

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Great explanation Hans but I feel there is a discrepancy within your last post. The mistake you have made, is the comment about Holland getting to the final. You may find you were 50% right but only with the last 4 letters. Those of course being preceeded with Eng. Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin . Bring it on!!!!!! Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin Nearly That Time Again Displa10

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 pm

will baddeley wrote:Great explanation Hans but I feel there is a discrepancy within your last post. The mistake you have made, is the comment about Holland getting to the final. You may find you were 50% right but only with the last 4 letters. Those of course being preceeded with Eng. Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin . Bring it on!!!!!! Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin Nearly That Time Again Displa10

Hi Will,
NOT!!! Look at that poor guys face in your picture. That is the bewildered face of some one that is seeing HOLLAND making it 6-0 in the first half! Dance lol!

Nearly That Time Again Oranje10

Ole, ole ole, ole! We are the Champions! We are the cha.. thumbs up
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Mon May 31, 2010 5:52 pm

ENGERRRLAND ENGERRRLAND ENGERRRLAND!!!!! C`MON FABIO`S BOY`S Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin Nearly That Time Again Icon_cheers Nearly That Time Again Icon_cheers Nearly That Time Again Icon_cheers

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 pm

I wish Holland all the best, but as the company that made me redundant last year are Dutch I shall be keeping fingers and toes firmly crossed that England win!

Mike

C'MON ENGLAND thumbs up
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:30 am

6-0 in the first half Hans?????? What Planet are you on???Nearly That Time Again Image-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:42 am

Well after our friendly against Japan where we won 2-1 but the Japanese scored all 3 goals, I just hope we can do better Crying or Very sad

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:57 am

Oh dear dear dear! Will, Ian, Stone Monkey etc. Way too funny for this time in the morning.

And there I've just bought my A.B.E. Supporters Club tee-shirt too! Twisted Evil

Hans - thanks for the history/geography lesson. You've answered a long unasked question of mine.

Now. Any of you Dutch/Nedeland members of this forum live anywhere near Amsterdam because I shall be there on Sunday 13th and want to see some quality trees. No excuses - your team doesn't play until the next day. Against...let's see... oh... errmm... ahhhh.... Denmark! No wonder Peter was getting his dig in on this thread!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm

[quote="fiona"] I shall be there (Amsterdam) on Sunday 13th and want to see some quality trees. quote]

Do you mean Bush ?

Suspect

Very Happy

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:29 pm

I may respond.

Once I work that one out!! scratch
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:06 pm

One of the many 60-70s slang terms for the dreaded marijuana and Amsterdam is rather well know for it Exotic Cheroot Cafes

Bad joke sorry and showing my age

Where was I in 65-75 ?????????????????????????????

I don't know, I can't remember

Very Happy

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Phew!! Thought that was going a whole different place affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Whatever do you mean, Will? flutter eyelashes

Tim, if you can't remember - you must have been there. As another saying goes.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Nearly That Time Again Empty TATA TA TA TATA

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 pm

fresh from the presses!!!!
THE NETHERLANDS vs GANA = 4-1 cheers
That is 18 games undefeated in a row!!! That is a record in the Netherlands!!!
Boy O boy, I cant wait! Bring it on!!!! Dance cheers lol! ThumbsUp cheers
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:16 am

Hans, it's all gonna come crashing down for you. England are playing such a tactical game. Nearly That Time Again Icon_biggrin So tactical, they actually fool the opposition into firing into their own nets. You don't stand a chance!?!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Of course, statistics show that England is one of only 2 teams that have a 100% success rate in World Cup Final matches played.

World Cup Finals

....................P W L %
URUGUAY .......2 2 0 100.0%
ENGLAND........1 1 0 100.0%
BRAZIL...........7 5 2 71.4%
ITALY............6 4 2 66.7%
ARGENTINA.....4 2 2 50.0%
FRANCE..........2 1 1 50.0%
GERMANY........7 3 4 42.9%
NETHER'S .......2 0 2 0.0%
CZECH REP......2 0 2 0.0%
HUNGARY........2 0 2 0.0%
SWEDEN.........1 0 1 0.0%

Very Happy

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Ah. As they (Twain, Disraeli, Dilke?) say: lies, damned lies, and statistics

Wikipedia definition: - "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments..."

Altho, that having been said, Scotland too has acquired a 100% record in the past 12 years:

Of finals not reached. Sad Embarassed Bagpiper
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't get this.... Neutral
Isn't this a bonsai thread? Soccer and bonsai....hmmm might work (NOT) Cool

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:35 pm

wabashene wrote:Of course, statistics show that England is one of only 2 teams that have a 100% success rate in World Cup Final matches played.

World Cup Finals

....................P W L %
URUGUAY .......2 2 0 100.0%
ENGLAND........1 1 0 100.0%
BRAZIL...........7 5 2 71.4%
ITALY............6 4 2 66.7%
ARGENTINA.....4 2 2 50.0%
FRANCE..........2 1 1 50.0%
GERMANY........7 3 4 42.9%
NETHER'S .......2 0 2 0.0%
CZECH REP......2 0 2 0.0%
HUNGARY........2 0 2 0.0%