Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

aargh to "Do nothings . . . !"

3 posters

Go down

aargh to "Do nothings . . . !" Empty aargh to "Do nothings . . . !"

Post  JimLewis Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Well, we've scheduled a small show up in Hendersonville, NC for tomorrow during the city's annual garden extravaganza. It's still going on, but it looks like it's gonna be a two-person show. No response from club members to continued harrangues about getting trees there at such and such a time. Our Secretary and I started grooming extra trees yesterday. It's only been scheduled for 4 months. grrrrr.

We're doing at least one demo on a conifer, but we may do two since I saw that our local nursery has 20% off on azaleas. Maybe they have a nice 'Gumpo' Satsuki. If they do, we can work on it top and bottom. I'm off to check.

It's 9 - 4 at the Bullington Center, 33 Upper Red Oak Trail, Hendersonville, NC in the unlikely event someone's nearby. Directions here: http://www.bullingtoncenter.org/new/?page_id=17

I'll post a pic or two tomorrow night or Sunday.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

aargh to "Do nothings . . . !" Empty Re: aargh to "Do nothings . . . !"

Post  JimLewis Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Hooray, a couple of others did bring trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat May 29, 2010 12:15 am

lol... I got stuck that way once... our club was putting on a display at a rock and gem show... and everyone who was supposed to do it got obligated somewhere else... so two days before the show I get a call asking me to do it. YeeHaw! lol

I made a couple phone calls and ended up putting on a pretty decent display... but it was all I could do to get her done and we put out 15 trees. affraid It was a 4 artist show. lol Everyone loved it... but I think we broke a half dozen or so, rules of display I am sure... lol My hubby and I had never done such a thing before... bounce

Life is an adventure... Very Happy

Can't wait to see your photos....

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnT Mon May 31, 2010 2:27 am

Jim, regarding shows and demos. I posted the following on another site (ausbonsai) concerning my last highly successfully demo:

Demonstrations...............the cause of several sleepless nights before the event, generally. I had been asked to do a demo at our Annual Show last Saturday. Probably the upteenth time in the last 14 years. Generally things go well. But, last Saturday was a disaster of 7.8 on the Bonsai Richter Scale, or maybe 8.3!! I had been encouraging a juniper in my veggie patch for about 6 months in case of the invitation. It was growing beautifully. Nice bright green foliage. Nice thick trunk with several promising branches that would create a nice informal upright. Than before a sea of bright, shiny, expectant faces I started. First explaining what I intended. Cut this branch, remove this foliage, create this jin, wire this branch, bend this branch. Done it all before, a piece of cake really, a walk in the park. Then..............crack, well we didn't really want that branch anyway did we? So, onward and upward.........snap, well we had better look for an alternative design. How about a literati windswept style with double pike? Or a shohin? Considering the original tree was about 35cms high my options were reducing fast. All is not lost however, so I wired as much as I could, but very slowly to use up as much time as possible. By this time most of the spectators had left except the Labrador, so I went and had a cup of coffee and considered my next demo which will probably be something to do with rocks.
The End.
PS the tree is now back in the veggie patch, recovering.

and the question asked - Are Bonsai Demonstrations Millstones?. To this little black duck - definitely

Cheers

John T

JohnT

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 31, 2010 12:43 pm

aargh to "Do nothings . . . !" Lol Been there, done that.

I generally don't like "demonstrations." I often do simply start working on a tree off in an accessible corner somewhere, then answer questions if (when, usually) people wander over to watch. That takes the onus of showmanship (which I have little of in the best of times) out of the picture, and the people who are interested stick around, the others -- who are waiting for that "crack!" so they can giggle (much as auto racers go for the crashes more than the winners) -- wander off to ask someone "How old is that bonsai?"

The show itself, though small, went off well. I, of course, in the rush of leaving in the morning, forgot my camera, but someone else has promised pictures. aargh to "Do nothings . . . !" Sleep
j
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down