Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YAMADORI COLLECTING

+5
Carolee
Joe Hatfield
Lee Kennedy
Paul Landis
Bob Brunt
9 posters

Go down

YAMADORI COLLECTING Empty YAMADORI COLLECTING

Post  Bob Brunt Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:08 pm

First a quick message to members who have not yet posted but have questions to ask..For some (like me) it will be a big deal to post your 1st message.I'm glad I did.I posted a question on Saturday 7th February and had a reply the same day with advice from Kev Bailey on Wed 18th February I was delighted to find I live only about tens minutes form Tony Tickle.Tony got in touch and by Saturday 18th I was working in Tony's garden repotting some beautiful little Yew trees and chatting Bonsai.How good does it get ?

Well it did get better

Whilst working on Tony's trees I was invited to join him on a Yamadori collecting trip that he already had arranged for the following Monday.Just by pure chance I was off work that day and gratefully accepted.Come mid morning Monday there I am clinging to the side of a mountain that I had passed so many times in the last 50 years.Digging up Fantastic stunted and twisted Hawthorns with Tony and Lee Kennedy.A big thank you to Tony and Lee for allowing me to tag along.

YAMADORI COLLECTING Yamado17

YAMADORI COLLECTING Yamado18

YAMADORI COLLECTING Yamado19

YAMADORI COLLECTING Yamado21
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

YAMADORI COLLECTING Empty Re: YAMADORI COLLECTING

Post  Paul Landis Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Wow!! Looks like a great time!!! I've been lookin for some folks to go collecting with here in Eastern PA(I have no experience with it)--but among the folks in the Bonsai clubs here there doesn't seem to be much interest. I know there's got to be a wealth of material fairly close by. Suppose I will have to get off my backside and track some of it down on my own!!!
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for the nice comments Bob,it was a pleasure to meet you,hopefully we'll meet again,don't know where, don't know when,but i hope it's in the brown cow for burrs in November!
You have made my older lads day,he now thinks he is a internet star!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

YAMADORI COLLECTING Empty I was thinking about collecting tomorrow

Post  Joe Hatfield Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:26 am

Paul Landis wrote:Wow!! Looks like a great time!!! I've been lookin for some folks to go collecting with here in Eastern PA(I have no experience with it)--but among the folks in the Bonsai clubs here there doesn't seem to be much interest. I know there's got to be a wealth of material fairly close by. Suppose I will have to get off my backside and track some of it down on my own!!!

How close are you to Philadelphia?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:14 am

About an hour. I belong to the Pennsylvania Bonsai Society--we meet in Plymouth Meeting.
Have you been to any of these meetings??

My home club is the Lehigh Valley Bonsai Society.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm

How wonderful! Ever since getting into bonsai I have been impressed with the friendliness and the willingness to share in the people involved in bonsai. Yesterday I went to the Spring Open House of a bonsai shop (two hours away-its the closest to me), and had a wonderful time talking with other patrons. Found out about a nursery that specializing in dwarf plants (like hostas), a person who collects in the hills of northern Kentucky (two hours away in the opposite direction), and an individual who is a potter and now specializing in bonsai pots. This site is so important to me because there is no club closer than almost three hours driving for me (I do make the trip monthly to the study group of Dave Bogan). Bob is right; post your first message, and it gets easier. Thanks to all of the individuals who make this site and bonsai so wonderful!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  carol1 Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Wow nice collecting Smile It is my dream to learn about yamadori, and have opportunity to go somewere where I can collect trees with more advance people Rolling Eyes

carol1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the kind words... it was great to have you along Very Happy

Carol1 find someone nearby you or from a club and ask... you never know... !

Back to top Go down

Post  carol1 Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Tony wrote:Carol1 find someone nearby you or from a club and ask... you never know... !

I`m trying, but I need to try harder I think...

carol1

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Looks like you guys had a top day and found some interesting material.

All sorts of green with envy. I don't get that sort of yamadori from my Old Man's backyard Crying or Very sad
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

carol1 wrote:
Tony wrote:Carol1 find someone nearby you or from a club and ask... you never know... !

I`m trying, but I need to try harder I think...
Well here is your perfect opportunity then,let people know where your from and you never know what may come of it Idea
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

YAMADORI COLLECTING Empty Yamadori collecting

Post  Les S Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 pm

However there are some of us who have mobility problems and can't get out to collecting sites. It would be really nice if those who can could donate nice yamadori to those who cant Sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Les S

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:26 pm

Les S wrote:However there are some of us who have mobility problems and can't get out to collecting sites. It would be really nice if those who can could donate nice yamadori to those who cant Sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Les makes a good point which I support. I've done this many times. There is fun in the chase - having the trees is ok too. For example, when in Mexico I gave collected Malphiga to a club member unable to collect. Friend for life! Smile

Our club generates significant revenue from a monthly club raffle table,. Members donate all sort of items including collected material for other members to try.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down