Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some brown ends to my Larch needles

2 posters

Go down

Some brown ends to my Larch needles Empty Some brown ends to my Larch needles

Post  Mike Jones Wed May 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Had this last year as well, any ideas? It is about 20% of the entire tree and around the end 15% on the needles. Tree is in good appearance. re-potted 3 years ago (big tree) not to wet and not to dry. Is in pretty much full sun, with some dappling from overhead but not a lot.

Tree with new growth, tidied and the needles.

Mike

Some brown ends to my Larch needles DSC02748

Some brown ends to my Larch needles DSC02889

Some brown ends to my Larch needles DSC02891

Some brown ends to my Larch needles DSC02892
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Some brown ends to my Larch needles Empty Some brown ends to my Larch needles

Post  Guest Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello Mike. The only thing I can think of is damage to the leaves whilst pruning. The leaves are quite delicate and soft this time of year. Any touching or bending of the leaves will cause damage. The shoots you pruned out could have been shading the leaves behind. When exposed to the now, very strong sunlight, damage can occur. A bit like moving houseplants into full sun.

Back to top Go down

Some brown ends to my Larch needles Empty Re: Some brown ends to my Larch needles

Post  Mike Jones Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Thank you for replying. Makes sense, as I said, it did the same last year but was absolutely fine. I'd just been working on a Scots pine with some judicious bending so was pumped up and enthusiastic. Forgot all about them being delicate,,duh.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Some brown ends to my Larch needles Empty Re: Some brown ends to my Larch needles

Post  graham walker Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Could possibly be a touch of the late frosts we are getting on new growth.
I have had similar frosting on some beech and garden maples

Graham

graham walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri May 28, 2010 6:08 am

Thanks Graham.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down