(OH WHY) Do(n't) flowers reduce????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(OH WHY) Do(n't) flowers reduce????????

Post  JimLewis on Thu May 20, 2010 10:10 pm

We have a small (18 foot) Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandifolia) out back. It blooms at this time every year.

Here is one of them. The bloom measures 12 inches in diameter! Normally, magnolia flowers are 6-8 inches. It's leaves (just visible in the background) are 9 inches long.

Last edited by JimLewis on Fri May 21, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Do flowers reduce????????

Post  Guest on Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 pm

As far as I know Jim, flowers will not reduce. They are the size they are for a reason and that being reproduction. You can breed smaller flowers, different colours and scents but usually at the expense of fertility.

Back to top Go down

Beeeeeeg flower!!!!!!!

Post  JimLewis on Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Guess I needed a smiley in my original title.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: (OH WHY) Do(n't) flowers reduce????????

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Fri May 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Why would you want something that lovely to reduce? (Is their another type of tree that could be trained to look like it's larger example that has similar, yet smaller flowers.)

As for the tongue in cheek... yes it is an amazing example of what we here in Illinois call
"something that grows better somewhere else!

(Did you ever notice just how hard it is to say "tongue in cheek" with your tongue stuck in your cheek?)

Jay

Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Sun May 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Every morning as I take my son to school, I pass by a house with really nice trees all over the yard. No evidence of bonsai, but he /she is triimming up and shorting and styling all the trees in the yard as if they were. Maybe a whole bunch of imperial yard-a-dories soon? Anyway, one of them is a magnolia. It's been kept at about 8-10 feet hight, branching is beautiful, and flowers are just the right size and of course close to the trunk. Beautiful. One day I'll learn how to post pictures. The yard also has japanese maples, crepe myrtles, and dogwoods all under a canopy of great big pines.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Sun May 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I've got one of these in my front garden too. The blooms are strongly lemon scented and almost make up for the mess that the leathery leaves make when they drop off and take years to rot down.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 pm

And for those who hate mosquitoes, I read somewhere that 75 percent of anopheles mosquitoes are born in rain-filled magnolia leaves. They make perfect bowls. I'd guess they'd also make an different kind of bonsai pot.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Sun May 23, 2010 11:27 pm

JimLewis wrote:And for those who hate mosquitoes, I read somewhere that 75 percent of anopheles mosquitoes are born in rain-filled magnolia leaves. They make perfect bowls. I'd guess they'd also make an different kind of bonsai pot.

Ooch! I like magnolias in other people's gardens, preferably several miles away from my white, freckled skin Rolling Eyes

Went to Turkey on a European school project last week, and on the first evening there, thy could have called me "the shrimp" Evil or Very Mad

But they're such beautiful tress...

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum