Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling all Potters

5 posters

Go down

Calling all Potters Empty Calling all Potters

Post  gman Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Folks,
I was contemplating about getting a new pot for one of my trees and having limited access to pots where I can actually see them live and in person ......I thought of an idea for folks like me and I'm sure there are a lot of us.

Would there be any interest for the potters on the forum to set up a sub category for people like me, whereby we submit a photo of the tree in its current pot, provide dimensions of tree and current pot and then the potters provide pot suggestions.
The only time I get to see pots are at conventions which for me would be every two years or so.......could be a win win.
Cheers Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Calling all Potters Empty Re: Calling all Potters

Post  Stone Monkey Wed May 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Graham

Go for it. I am more than happy to make pot suggestions here on the IBC

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 am

Graham,
I am SURE you will find a lot of options for your potting needs here. I love to offer suggestions and I enjoy hearing what other artists (potters and non-potters alike) have to say.

Looking forward to it,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Calling all Potters Empty New Pot Suggestions

Post  gman Sat May 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks Andy/Rob
So here goes,
I got the Azalea last September from a senior (years in Bonsai not necessarily in age) member of our little club. The Azalea is 10” wide and 10” tall from top of pot to apex, the pot measures 7” long, 6” wide and 3” tall with inside measurements of 5.5” x 6.5” BUT I think the new pot should be wider (8”)and shorter (2.5”)? The current pot matches the bark but not the flowers? Pot selections greatly appreciated.
Cheers Graham
Calling all Potters Dc_s_a12
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Wed May 26, 2010 1:49 am

Hello Graham

This is a nice challenge....and a very nice azalea as well.

The main problem IMO for a potter (or anybody else) is to fullfill someone's imagination.
As everybody has an own taste the first step to be done is that YOU should describe what you want......
NOT exactly......but try to describe your "target".

For example.....just a few questions.....

......is the pot really important for you or just "necessary"?
......glaze or no glaze? shining or not?
......should it look more lightly or heavyly "sattled into the ground"?
......should it match trunk, leaves, flowers or maybe two or all of it?
......do you like "color in color" or contrasts?
...... any dislikes?

As you might see.....not easy.....so please give us something to think about.....

Kind regards
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 am

.......and what about .....NO POT......just a mossplate. Something I have done a few years ago?

Kind regards
Martin

[img]Calling all Potters Grazvi10[/img]
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Dear Klaudia & Martin, thank you very much for responding.
I see that you are looking more deeply at this than I had envisioned and that’s a good thing. Making me think about the challenge of pot selection and from a different level will give me a better understanding of pot choices for specific trees.

So a little background…….. I don’t really have a vision of displaying my trees in any formal exhibition in the short term. There is a convention that comes close (200km away) ever 4 years……. so maybe by October 2013 I’ll have something ready.
Therefore my pot selection at the moment for any of my trees is….”What do I have on hand that fits Embarassed ” and my inventory is very limited (I don’t have a desire to carry a large inventory as I like to have all the pots I have used up with trees or accents in them). Our nearest vendor for Bonsai Pots is over an hours drive and even though that’s not far, all they carry are cheap Chinese pots and that’s what I have.

So at the moment the pot isn’t really important per se, but I’m willing to venture out there and get what I think works.
I would like one that works well with the flowers and from a simple color wheel that should be a yellow or bright green (the flowers start off darker then fade with time)? Not really fussy about glazed or non- glazed. I don’t think it should be too overpowering that it takes the viewer away from the flower display but should compliment them (the right yellow might even work with the flowers and bark?).

Although the mossplate might work for some trees I don’t envision an azalea that way, the moss plate looks more rustic and might work well with a conifer…..but then again as I’ve stated before I’m not that confident in the matching up of trees/pots/slabs. I go more by gut feel and sometimes the funniest combinations work.

Thanks again……I hope that I’ve been able to give you all more to work with.
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu May 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Graham,
how about with this pot shapes for your azalea?

Calling all Potters 01mini13

Calling all Potters 004a10

Calling all Potters 00610

Calling all Potters 01310
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Calling all Potters 03210

Calling all Potters 068bra10

Calling all Potters 095g0311

Calling all Potters 095g5412

Calling all Potters 114g5411

Best regards
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm

... and with these glazes.

Calling all Potters G0410

Calling all Potters G0910

Calling all Potters G2610

Calling all Potters G2910
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Calling all Potters G4410

Calling all Potters G5110

Calling all Potters G5410

Best regards
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu May 27, 2010 10:00 pm

gman

Some pot suggestions

Calling all Potters A10

Calling all Potters B10

Calling all Potters C10

Calling all Potters D10

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Calling all Potters Empty Many Thanks

Post  gman Fri May 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Many thanks Peter and Andy.....wow so many choices and such a wide variety of shapes/colours/styles that could, can work? I know see how difficult it can be to decide on a pot for any given tree.
I must admit that the idea of the post was two fold; one being selfish in that I am serious about a new pot for this azalea as I think it deserves a much nicer pot and secondly, I thought that this kind of post could also help other members find pots for their trees especially when they don’t have the ability to buy them locally.

I’ll do more research on pot selection and look for one that fits the rules and one that I fancy. I will use a PM to the owner of the pot.
I guess another part of this process would be shipping “across the miles” so to speak. Any ideas on that part?

Cheers and thanks again
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Sat May 29, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Graham,
I wanted to put these pots just for discussion. Very Happy
It could be for your azalea still use many other forms. It is not difficult to find a suitable pot.
Even among the Chinese pots, there are high quality trays that would fit very well.

Best regards
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 am

Hello Graham

Sorry for the late reply....we were on the road.

Making me think about the challenge of pot selection and from a different level will give me a better understanding of pot choices for specific trees.
Graham I'm too only just a pupil....but I try hard Smile .....the real master is Peter Krebs. His experience and knowledge is way ahead and the collection of knowledge pics and history on his website cant be recommendet enough !!!!
I also like to show you another fine resource for potselection. It's the website of Milan Klika and Vladislava Kuřátová.
http://www.bonsai-keramik.com/en/teorie.html

So a little background…….. I don’t really have a vision of displaying my trees in any formal exhibition in the short term.
So your personal taste is more important than a judges rule!

I would like one that works well with the flowers and from a simple color wheel that should be a yellow or bright green (the flowers start off darker then fade with time)?
Not just a typical colorchoice but the most important think is YOUR taste ! If you are pleased with a tinpot.....go for it.

Although the mossplate might work for some trees I don’t envision an azalea that way, the moss plate looks more rustic and might work well with a conifer…..but then again as I’ve stated before I’m not that confident in the matching up of trees/pots/slabs. I go more by gut feel and sometimes the funniest combinations work.

Well said.....so as I personally like the moss....you see it again.....only taste matters!

With all the pots shown my personal favourite would be a pot by Peter and a glaze by Andy.........

Kind regards
Martin

Calling all Potters 095g0311
Calling all Potters B10
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down