Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is my bald cypress a goner?

4 posters

Go down

is my bald cypress a goner? Empty is my bald cypress a goner?

Post  jferrier Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 pm

I have a forest planting of 5 bald cypresses. I have been so busy I missed a couple days watering and I had also counted on some rain that didn't come. To make matters worse, I accidentily left it sitting on top of the air conditioning compressor which just started being used a day or 2 ago. So even though its been in the 80's the fan has been pulling air across it. Well today the soil was bone dry. 4 of the smaller trees have just some minor wilting and look like they will be fine, but my almost all my large pivot tree's leaves look wilted with many dried up on the ends. I've left it to soak but I'm wondering if it will likely survive? It does appear to have a few leaves that still look lush, but not many.

jferrier

Back to top Go down

is my bald cypress a goner? Empty Re: is my bald cypress a goner?

Post  Todd Ellis Fri May 14, 2010 1:27 am

I wouldn't soak it any more. Water the forest when the soil looks dry and hope for the best. You may lose some branches, but (if the roots still function) more will grow to replace them. I check my trees daily, even if it there is a forcast for rain. The old saying "...I'll believe it when I see it..." holds true. I also check my trees during (and especially after) a rain storm to make sure nothing is standing in water or has blown over, etc. I would "nix" the idea of setting trees on the AC unit. Good luck!
Regards,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri May 14, 2010 3:29 am

I believe soaking it is the best method for recovery. Bald cypress live in standing water in nature and this will help the roots recover you can also mist the foliage in the morning and evening to help with transpiration best of luck.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat May 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Bald cypresses like to be wet pretty much all the time in a pot. You can even set them in a pot of water for those times when you are too busy to remember to water. They will however, forgive the occasional drying out, so keep it watered now and hope for the best. In nature, they grow on dry land as well as wetlands, and there they dry out completely at times. Good luck!

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down