The DE-construction of a privet

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The DE-construction of a privet

Post  my nellie on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm

JimLewis wrote:Thanks, Jerry. I'd about thought that would have to be my next step.

It does go against the grain to put this HIGHLY invasive species back into the ground, though.
Jim, looks like you did not take that step....
You have kept the ligustrum into its pot.
Do you think that it would have regain strength if it had been in the ground?

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Do you think that it would have regain strength if it had been in the ground?

I really doubt it. There was plenty of room for roots in the pot, and it got more attenion than if I'd put it out somewhere. But we'll never know.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:33 pm

JimLewis wrote:I'll start this story with "Once Upon a Time" (in 2006).

Then, the shari got all soft and pulpy. Minwax wood hardener did no good, so I dug down to hard wood. (2-09)

It leafed out that summer, but several of the branches were weak and leter died.

Desperate now, because the shari again became soft and pithy, I treated it with lime sulfur (which I dislike on deciduous trees) and as I expected it has done nothing at all except turn an unnatural white.

This tree is going downhill fast. Any suggestions as to making something out of it will be appreciated and desperately tried. I've had this tree for a LONG time.

The roots are fine, and I get dozens of sucker sprouts around the base every week.

Jim, you might consider removing the tree from the bonsai container, planting it in the ground and letting it grow unrestrained for a couple of years. The only way to make new wood on this tree is to let it make new wood. I doubt this will happen in the container environment. On my hunts I often see privets that have had large trunks which got old or infested or what have you and died, and the roots have sprouted new leaders usually in more than one spot which then go on to make a new shrub that seems perfectly healthy. With your specimen you could encourage new sapwood to form which could theoretically roll in and more or less overcome the rotted out center of the tree. Worth a shot, anyway, it's too nice to give up on.

Good luck!

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:51 pm

You know that trees have life spans. (That's a statement not a question.)
Shade or sun, switch. This has been a few very hot summers in a row.
My privet gets a leaf fungus, I think it might weigh the tree down over time.
I don't know about yours, but I think mine is a Chinese import, don't know how old it was when I bought it from Miami Tropical.
You may have to settle regrowing from the roots.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

the de construction of a privet

Post  moyogijohn on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 pm

JIM,,I really hope you can find out the cause of this decay!! that tree was looking so good.. now i to like the back of it for a front..i don,t understand why the things you have done will not stop it..hope that it gets to be ok...fingers crossed take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum