What would you do.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you do.

Post  Smithy on Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 am

My wife goes to a quiz night once a month,last night it was held at our house. One of the couples took a real interest in my trees . Not many people really show an interest so i was pleased to show them my trees. While enthusiastically pointing at one of the trees Paul who i had just met broke the top off one of my Acers . He was mortified. I was a bit shocked but handled it pretty well.
I am someone who doesn't stress too much over things i have no control, and as i couldn't stick it back on i just shrugged it off, as no matter how much i beat him it wouldn't change the situation. I did think of using the rule of thumb but thought i might offend someone.
He took the piece home and i told him we would always have a special relationship. I would rather he went home and got more interested in bonsai and the hoped the situation didn't put him off for life.
What would you do in this situation.

Smithy

Back to top Go down

What would you do.

Post  Guest on Mon May 03, 2010 11:04 am

You have to be philosophical in these situations. I have suffered this kind of problem, more times than I care to mention. 2 children with a love of ball games and 2 cats are quite a leveller. Plus I'm not quick enough to catch the little *****!

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do.

Post  dave grieve on Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Smithy

I feel your pain, brother. I'm sure we've all crossed paths with rambunctious children, drunken relatives, evil pets, clumsy neighboors etc.,etc. and we want to rant and rave, stomp, hit something because of the strong emotional investment we have in these little trees. The point is you didn't. It sounds like you handled it beautifully. I'm glad there's folks like you out there - patient and enthusiastic advocates of our gentle art.

Dave

dave grieve

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon May 03, 2010 1:05 pm

LOOK -- don't touch, please.

Well, think of it as a new styling challenge.

Post a pic here. I'm SURE we'll have suggestions. Rolling Eyes

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm

I guess this has happened to all of us at some time or another. Your approach was correct. Bonsai are nowhere near as precious as friendship.

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for the really great responses. I had to laugh with him as my trees have survived my crazy cats ,footballs, frisbees and grabbing toddler hands. It wasn't such a big piece to be a real problem to the design,it might even improve it, its just you know every little piece and its the sound of that crack when its the last thing you expect to hear that's the worst part. There's that silence then as you both look at each other in a little surreal moment, both not wanting that to have just happened. I think i felt more sorry for him. I did get to use my mantra i use at work all the time. 'Don't worry it'll grow back.'

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Smithy wrote: I did get to use my mantra i use at work all the time. 'Don't worry it'll grow back.'
I remember a boy called David saying something like that to me when we were about 5. I'll not divulge the full details of what we were looking at at the time! But that's what happens when your respective sets of parents stick you in the same bath to save water.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 pm

fiona wrote:
Smithy wrote: I did get to use my mantra i use at work all the time. 'Don't worry it'll grow back.'
I remember a boy called David saying something like that to me when we were about 5. I'll not divulge the full details of what we were looking at at the time! But that's what happens when your respective sets of parents stick you in the same bath to save water.

Laughing Laughing

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  harry dovey on Mon May 03, 2010 9:27 pm

my younger sister did this once with the the apex of one of my acers i was not best pleased so i put a snail in her bed she has not gone near them since, result
Very Happy

harry dovey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey on Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Hung drawn and quartered with the head impaled on a pike at the gates of the Tower Twisted Evil
No seriously I had a similar thing when a stray ball came over the fence from a neighbor and took the top clean off one of my trees. After uttering a few expletives and using the universal sign language profusely. I did pass the ball back albeit deflated after the ball had a discussion about ball pruning with some wen cutters affraid

Last edited by Stone Monkey on Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm

harry dovey wrote:my younger sister did this once with the the apex of one of my acers i was not best pleased so i put a snail in her bed she has not gone near them since, result
Very Happy

I love this.

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Mon May 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Did happen to me while demonstarting for our local club, one guest pointet at a little azalea and broke it completely.
Thats life no?
My neighbour shpould watch my trees while we where on holliday, forgot to water my at that time most expensive bonsai a satsuki for a week,after 3 years the tree is still in recovery, I was a little bit mad and sad at the same time.
He wanted to replace it if it died, untill I told him the price of purchase.
He is still the best neighbour one can have.

Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:Hung drawn and quartered with the head impaled on a pike at the gates of the Tower Twisted Evil

I can relate to that statement Andy Twisted Evil

Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 pm

harry dovey wrote:my younger sister did this once with the the apex of one of my acers i was not best pleased so i put a snail in her bed she has not gone near them since, result
Very Happy
Just you watch your back there, young Harry. That's the sort of thing that can lead to monstrous acts of revenge at a later point. She is just biding her time and in a few months time you may come home all unsuspecting one day to find your trees being devoured by snails the size of kangaroos while your own bed has become a maelstrom of writhing serpents, harpies, ghouls, gorgons and people who look like Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Be warned.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 on Mon May 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I got a mate that started pulling needles off a pine so he could fidget with them while we were out the back having a chat. Then couldnt understand why i was so concerned Suspect Rolling Eyes Laughing

anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon May 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Be affraid Harry.......Very affraid. Writhing serpents, harpies, ghouls and gorgons, I'm sure you could cope with but a multitude of Andrew Lloyd Webbers

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek on Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 am

Smithy

Did he do that just after you told him they can grow from cuttings??

Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 am

Jaco Kriek wrote:Smithy

Did he do that just after you told him they can grow from cuttings??

Actually i had just been telling him about grafting and he did say i could graft it back on. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

Paint it green, put a bolt through its neck, send a few thousand volts thru the whole tree and call it Herman. Or if we want to be truly literary, call it "the Adam of your labours".

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Stone Monkey wrote: the ball had a discussion about ball pruning with some wen cutters affraid
I did the same thing years ago except I used a bread knife and re enacted the scene from Psycho. Twisted Evil The kid next door never asked for his ball back either. Embarassed

Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:14 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum