Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March

+3
AJ
Paul Landis
JimLewis
7 posters

Go down

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Empty It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Or hardly ever, for that matter. Dammit!

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Snow_310

My Podocarpus. They probably don't have snow on them very often.

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Snow_311

An Osage Orange, Boxwood, and Sweetgum (the bigger ones). They're at home in the snow.

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Snow_312
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Empty Re: It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March

Post  Paul Landis Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm in eastern Pa and I'm hoping for some snow to cover up my stuff. I have some trees(stuff in nursery pots) I pulled the frost blankets off last week and now tonight and tomorrow night we are supposed to go down to 6-10F with some good wind. If we get a few inches I probably wont have to cover them up again. In the 50's by the weekend though---finally.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March Empty Re: It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March

Post  AJ Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Sorry Jim, but snow in the first week of March in zone 7 isn't anything out of the ordinary. Or at least it didn't used to be.
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  nguyen75 Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 pm

hi jim take a look my garden in VA same as you in NC it 12" snow here some of my tree last nigth coved with snow hope your like it

It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March IMG_0399It Ain't S'pposed to do this around here in March IMG_0400
nguyen75
nguyen75

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:54 pm

AJ wrote:Sorry Jim, but snow in the first week of March in zone 7 isn't anything out of the ordinary. Or at least it didn't used to be.

Yeah, but I'm 1500 feet lower than you are. <g>

Thanks for hosting those workshops!!!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Jim - That's why Asheville is a zone 6b. We should be colder than you, and subject to snow later in the season, but the zone you're in is still subject to the possibility of snow in March. In April too, for that matter. We just haven't had much of the stuff in recent years. I hope your podocarpus is OK. Thanks for supporting the program this past Saturday! - AJ
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm

The Podocarpus will be fine -- though I'll lug it inside tonight since it's supposed to go into the mid to lower teens.

Podocarpus macrophyllus will easily take temperatures down to the low 20s. This one has wintered outside all its life as a bonsai.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 pm

We had some forecasts that predicted 3-5 inches of snow in Columbia last night...but we had only rain. Not that I'm complaining!
Now the forecast is for 19F tonight.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

OK you guys,...... give me my snow!

Up here in northern Vermont we have at best 2-5 inches in the mountains.

BUT it is cold should be around 0 F at night for the next few days. Nothing wrong with that temp..... if it was Feb 2 that is!

Jay

Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Waterhouse 2 Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 pm

Wow Jim, That's some serious snow for your neck of the woods, and so late to. We still have about a foot of snow on the ground here in Maine.

Mike W

Mike Waterhouse 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down