Night time offers a different perspective

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Night time offers a different perspective

Post  Todd Ellis on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:21 am

I spend as much time with my trees as I can "get away with". My wife will often tell our friends that she is a "bonsai widow". My reply to her is that I have lots of (bonsai) work to do and always feel I'm trying to catch up. I also tell her that she is very welcome to help with the trees. So, one solution for me is to be out and among my trees at night. I do this because, A) I really like the solitude and quiet that night time brings, and B) I can really get a good perspective on the negative spaces in the trees. The porch lights allow me to see the trees at night. By looking at the trees, which are backlit by the porch light, I can study their silhouettes. I have also been able to select the best front for some trees at night. Bonsai 24-7!!! Best, Todd Smile

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Re: Night time offers a different perspective

Post  RKatzin on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Todd, have you ever tried photographing trees in the dark? I was working on a tree the other evening and about sevenish I finished up and wanted some new pics. I knew I was running out of daylight and didn't have time for a proper set up so I just started snapping away. Two things happened. The darker it got as the sun set the less background was picked up in the pic until eventually all I got was a clear pic of the tree with a black background. Also the darker it got the less I could see through the view finder and had to just guess where the subject was, but went all around the garden snapping pics. I'm not a pro with the camera by any means and this may be old hat to the pros, but it was an amazing discovery for me. I've always moved the subject to a site with a good solid background (side of the barn) and it's quite a bit of work to get pics a several trees, some are quite heavy and heavy and I don't get along as well as we did at one time. I love sitting among the trees in the dark, backlit by the neighbors porch light or the rising moon, a pipe in one hand and a glass in the other, just me and my trees and solitude, momentary at best and I hang on to it as long as I can, which is until the four Jack Russels find me amd all jump into my lap at once, spilling my glass and tipping my pipe. You gotta savor those moments you get.

RKatzin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum