Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Height reduction in a Japanese Black Pine

Go down

Height reduction in a Japanese Black Pine Empty Height reduction in a Japanese Black Pine

Post  mountainrunner Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi! I just purchased 2 large Japanese Black Pines in good health, and have some questions about reducing the height of these trees. They are both between 4 and 5 feet tall. I have not worked much with pines at all, but my understanding is that any pruning should be done very gradually. The trunks of these trees each have an area devoid of needles and I would like the trees to backbud in here. There is plenty of top growth as well as some low branches.

How much should I be pruning these trees back this year? Should I leave them for a year after pruning before doing anything else to them. They are currently in plastic nursery pots. Should I plant them in the ground or into grow boxes? Is it safe to transplant them at all if I prune them this year - i.e. should I leave them in their nursery pots and transplant next year?

Any help would be much appreciated...I don't want to stress these great trees!

Thanks!

Oh...I should mention I live in southern Ontario, Canada and spring is in full force here!
mountainrunner
mountainrunner

Back to top Go down