Which nice face?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which nice face?

Post  Mawardi Nur on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:58 pm

I attach the pict. of Streblus asper (latin name), but I don't it's true name, but for Indonesian we called Serut. In this case I just to know which is the nice front face as attached pictures. Any idea is ewelcome for my tree

Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Re: Which nice face?

Post  JimLewis on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Somehow, it seems to be leaning away from us in all three pictures, but I think I like #1 the best.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Which Nice Face?

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:01 pm

According to Wikipedia, Streblus asper is a tree known by several common names, including Siamese rough bush, khoi, and toothbrush tree. Apparently it is a popular bonsai subject in the Asian tropics.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawardi Nur on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 am

Thanks Jim for your comment, by the way, the branch which I put the arrow could be cut off? Or I keep existing on the branch? Or should I lean or do? Please let me get your idea.

Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

There's been something bothering me about the dynamic of this tree and a closer analysis this morning has brought it clearer in my mind.

I hope you don't mind but I've used the poor weather this morning as an excuse to play wth Photoshop and have come up with a (not brilliant) virtual.

My concern was that the apex of the tree (if we take pic 1 as the nicer front) was going to be way too far to the left of the tree. This would have left a huge gap on the right side which would be even more noticeable if you leave the bottom branch at the right hand side.

What I've tried to do is use the nicer front form pic 1 but also use the nicer (and IMHO more balanced) apex from pic 2. The virtual image would obviously require a lot more growth of foliage and possibly even new branches especially at the back. I'd also agree with Jim Lewis that the apex needs to be leaning forward - even more than in my virt.

See what you think but please bear in mind this is only My Humble Opinion and done using imperfect Photoshop skills.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawardi Nur on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 am

Hi There, Fiona,

Thanks a lot for your nice idea, and now I am waiting the tree recovery for remification after carving. i will update later.

Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 pm

It's maybe too late, but for now, I wouldn't cut anything off. The branches will help add some girth and maturity to the trunk. They can always come off or be shortened later.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawardi Nur on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 am

Hi Jim,

The buds start to grow now, I keep them more leggy until it more healthly.

Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawardi Nur on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Some update for streblus asper as attach..What type of pot should I select for this tree?

Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum