Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fagus airlayering

3 posters

Go down

Fagus airlayering Empty Fagus airlayering

Post  gordonb Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 am

My sister has a copper beech in her garden, approximately 45cm diameter trunk, and quite tall (maybe 20 m?). Now, I'm not proposing to top the tree and dig up the stump. The tree has thrown a number of branchlets down near the base (maybe 30 - 45 cm from the ground), and when I was there in summer, just before Christmas, I attempted to air-layer them (3 of them, around 12 - 20 mm dia). It is now autumn (fall), and a late start to that, too. Is it too late to try to remove these layers, or should I wait till spring? We have only in the last 2 weeks had leaves turning [Liquidambar going red] and falling, and apart from a couple of cool nights it has been mild. [My trees have actually had another growing season, once the excessive heat of summer died back!)

gordonb

Back to top Go down

Fagus airlayering Empty Re: Fagus airlayering

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Do you see roots in the layers? If not, leave them on 'till spring. Also if not, were the layers kept constantly damp? Did you use a rooting hormone?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 pm

In the northern hemisphere, the best moment to air-layer beech is February, almost two months before buds open: the technique taht consists in peeling a ring of bark and then securing a copper wire at the top of the ring is very efficient. I read about it in an article from a Japanese bonsai magazine and i've tried it myself with 100% succes (on 3 trees only, but it worked ;-))

April 2006 (layering done in Feb. 2006) :

Fagus airlayering Fagus03_060414

Early June 2007 :

Fagus airlayering Fagus03_070626_1

(Yes, this was not the right period of the year to repot it, but I had to do it in june, for various reasons)
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Fagus airlayering Empty roots

Post  gordonb Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:02 am

JimLewis wrote:Do you see roots in the layers? If not, leave them on 'till spring. Also if not, were the layers kept constantly damp? Did you use a rooting hormone?

Ah, well, you see, I outmanouvered myself there. My sister is about 2 hours' drive away, and I thought the best protection from the light was to black polythene taped firmly against the elements. The result of that was that I couldn't really see anything without undoing the whole lot, when I was there 2 weeks ago. Probably the best bet is to leave until spring.
Rooting hormone - suposedly 'goes off' within 6 weeks of opening the bottle, so I don't buy it. Usually I use a mild solution of manuka (NZ tea-tree) honey , 1 tsp in a cup of water. Anti-viral/anti-bacterial, and seems to have something that promotes root growth - plus it support local industry, 'though in a very minor way!!!

gordonb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down