Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings

+7
acdc
RKatzin
Fuzzy
Joe Hatfield
mr treevolution
Bob Brunt
Kev Bailey
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Empty Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Last year my Coralbark Maple, garden tree, produced its first ever noticeable crop of seeds. Never one to pass a chance of more trees, I collected all of them, even though they were less than half the size of normal Japanese Maple seeds. They stratified in pans outdoors all winter and we had a really cold one. Today I bent down to move a pot and noticed a panful of sprouted seeds. Just finished potting up 80 of them and there are more to do.

I have no idea if they will have red bark, but there is always the chance of an even better variety than the parent. Even if none are identical, the short internodes and small leaf size, of the parent, should make them good trees for bonsai. As a last resort, I could always use them for grafting stock.

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Senkak10
This is the lovely bark on the parent tree.

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Senkak11
and this is its autumn colour with a branch of Osakazuki in front.

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Img_2910
A few of the tiny seedlings.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Empty Re : Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings

Post  Bob Brunt Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 am

80 seedlings with more to do !!
Nice one Kev.
Once you have them past the damping off stage if offering any out for sale..I'd take a dozen off your hands.
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Empty Re: Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings

Post  mr treevolution Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 am

Good job there Kev, I remember seeing them all hanging on said tree end of last summer.
They are all likely to have less colouration than the parent tree, if any at all. But like you say there may be the odd surprise and with the quantity you have there is a better chance of a gem appearing!
I have a senkaki as a medium sized bonsai that was given to me as a rooted cutting from Mike K of Plantasia back in the day, you may remember it. It has very little colour, only a hint of the true coral colour in winter on the newest twigs. Although i did get a belting little grafted one for last years birthday. Going to grow it on for garden.
Catch you soon
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Today I "discovered" another potfull. This time Acer palmatum atropurpureum seedlings. Potted up 50 and have run out of pots for now. Probably more than 50 left to do.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I wish I had the space to take on similar woes Smile
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:16 am

Nice one Kev!
During the winter while walking around the local garden centre I spotted a beautiful Japanese maple for sale covered in seeds, and being the shy retiring type I promptly walked up to one of the staff and asked if I could take some with a bribe of a box of roses chocolates and a kiss on the cheek no less! Very Happy Well They’re beginning to sprout but a pesky bug has killed a couple by nipping at the base of the stem. Evil or Very Mad I must remember to go back and identify the mother tree by name though.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Crap! Just been out for a late evening check on the greenhouse and was astonished to spot 40 of the Sango Kaku seedlings, that I'd kept protected in the greenhouse, had each been neatly decapitated, probably by a rodent. Ah well, the others on benches outside may have fared better. I'll check them in the morning. Crying or Very sad
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 am

My seedlings have suffered the same fate. Have lost 2 potfuls to vermin. 1 Spindle and the other Hunza Apricots. Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Icon_sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 am

Really annoying isn't it Will. Even more so when you've gone to all the trouble of pricking them out individually. Hunza Apricots? Looked trhem up and they appear interesting in a few ways. Are you growing them for bonsai or a fruit experiment?

THe trap caught one field mouse between last night and this morning, so I hope that's it sorted. I'll leave it in situ for a few more days though, to be sure.

On closer inspection in daylight, there are a few that still have the tiny first leaves atop the seedling stem. It appears to have preferred the seed leaves. I wonder how the defoliated seedlings will do? A new technique, Hah!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 pm

During the late 70's and early 80's, my mum decided to try and wean me off sweets by switching to a more healthy option. Licorice root and Hunza apricots were the answer, the later being delicious. I think they are one of the more legitimate and non addictive exports from Afghanistan. Quite small and hard, but very tasty and without the copious quantities of sulphur you get with other dried fruit. Caveat emptor, re the ammount you can eat though. the phrase " eye of a needle", springs to mind. I found some last year on a market stall and after consuming the bag, decided to try and grow some of the stones. I have one seedling left.

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 am

I'm an avid Japanese Maple fan and as such I'm in the habit of collecting seedlings every spring in a few spots that I'm privy to. I haven't gone collecting this year yet, but last spring I collected about three hundred from a tree with reddish golden leaves. In that lot there were seven with pure blood red leaves, two of which perished this winter and five have leafed out this spring in glorious red leaves. I've come across others the sprouted red the first year, but reverted to green the second year. Yes, there'a point, and I'm gettin' to it. I recently picked up a large Coral Bark Maple, and in the pot with it, two lowly seedlings and I'm standing by to see if they'll be Coral Bark, or if they'll revert to good old mother, Acer p. as so many seeds from hybrid varieties have want to do. On older types I find the seed will usually produce the tree they fell from, but most new types and especially the fancier varieties, if the seed will even sprout, they generally produce plain jane Acer p., not that they're not lovely trees in evey right. So, with the Coral Bark, do the seeds produce true to type or are they one in a hundred like most others?
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Empty Japanese Maple Seeds or Seedlings

Post  acdc Sat May 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Wanted any fresh Japanese Maple seeds, must be fresh or stratified, ie: Acer palmatums, purpurium greans or reds.
any quantitys please send price list, email me at acdc4000@hotmail.com
acdc
acdc

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat May 01, 2010 2:49 pm

A bit late to be ordering methinks. All mine are now at four to six leaf stage. Seed merchants will sell you them but I don't think your chances of success are high now. Much better to find good sources of fresh seed this autumn to stratify yourself next winter.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Lately I have noticed a coral bark maple planted into the garden of the nearby supermarket...
I wonder if I could take hard wood cuttings at this time of year.
Is there any chance of success?
Any advice, please!
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Sango Kaku has a very strong root system and issue roots easily. Trees that do this have the potential to build very good bases(nebari) Depending on your propagating experience and climate, hardwood cuttings may take a year or two to find out what will work for you. In general, start with #2 pencil size cuttings and vary the size of the rest, larger and smaller. Very small cuttings usually don't have enough stores carbohydrates(energy) to issue enough roots. Six weeks before bud break strike the cuttings with hormone (I use DIP&GROW) and keep in protected area(unheated greenhouse) bottom heat is beneficial but not critical. That will get you started, use good growing principals and hygiene.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Thank you for the response, Garry.
So, you say that I should wait for the spring to come and get the cuttings then. Do I understand you correctly?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Nellie, I'm hesitant to say spring, It's a big world Very Happy Whenever buds break in your area count backwards six weeks or as little as four weeks.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:59 pm

I see...
Thanks again, Gary!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Sango Kaku or Senkaki seedlings Empty Some one here ?

Post  Muriloruy Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:48 pm

There is some one that still cheking the forum ?

Muriloruy

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:27 am

There are a few people who still check and post. Best source of Japanese Maple seeds is a tree in your area that has nice leaves. There is always some variation from seed.

Marty Weiser

Muriloruy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Muriloruy Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 am

Marty Weiser wrote:There are a few people who still check and post. Best source of Japanese Maple seeds is a tree in your area that has nice leaves. There is always some variation from seed.

Hello Marty Weiser, thanks for replay. If possible I would look arroud for some Maple trees, but I live in Brazil and there is no Mape tree arroud here. That's why I'm looking for seeds outside the country. I'm realy intresting on those sango kaku variety.

Muriloruy

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm

I have ordered seed from Sheffield's Seed and been happy with what I got. Not sure if they ship to Brazil. Here is their page for Japanese maple that lists quite a few cultivars, but neither one you listed - https://sheffields.com/seeds-search/s_genus/acer/s_species/palmatum/characteristics_sum_type/1

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Muriloruy Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Marty Weiser wrote:I have ordered seed from Sheffield's Seed and been happy with what I got. Not sure if they ship to Brazil. Here is their page for Japanese maple that lists quite a few cultivars, but neither one you listed - https://sheffields.com/seeds-search/s_genus/acer/s_species/palmatum/characteristics_sum_type/1

Hi Marty,
I have been looking on the Sheffield's website already, but is good to have your feedback about their product. bounce
Did you ever heard about FW Schumacher ? I have been looking on their website too.

Muriloruy

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:51 pm

I have not dealt with FW Schumacher.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Muriloruy Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:00 pm

Marty Weiser wrote:I have not dealt with FW Schumacher.

Have your feedback about Sheffield's is enough. Thanks. Very Happy

Muriloruy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next