bougainville questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bougainville questions

Post  amazonida on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 am

hi, need to know when is the right time to prune the branches. do i have to wait until they get hard?
Need tips, this is red one. May i aplly the tips to every colour?
Thanks

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=92&u=14447675]

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Re: bougainville questions

Post  JimLewis on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

I've pruned bougies at every season. And yes, all bougies are the same.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

Jim, thanks. So, i can prune it no matter how green is the branche? and no matter how long it is?

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  flamencoguy on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Bougies will die back a bit from where you cut your branch, sometimes up to an inch (2-3 cm). I've chopped one back from a big, viney nursery plant (1m tall and wide)to a stump with no leaves and it came back fine. Very hard to kill. Don't keep it too wet or it will rot. Hope that helps!

Jason

flamencoguy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I routinely pinch new growth. Be aware, though, hat you will pinch off new "flower" bracts when you do this. But it will promote backbudding and branching.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:59 pm

I thought they were hard to kill too, but for some reason, this year's winter in Texas was quit harsh on these trees. Actually, I know about 6 great trees around me that were all killed. And they were all in the ground. And worse, I live in Houston.

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  flamencoguy on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Ah yes... they are cold sensitive. Being in my location I completely forgot about that!

flamencoguy

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:32 pm

I had 2 nice bouganvillas in the making, but this year's winter freeze got them both! I'll have a greenhouse of some discription next year for sure.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum