Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus sylvestris training question

Go down

Pinus sylvestris training question Empty Pinus sylvestris training question

Post  NeilDellinger Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am

I normally steer pretty widely past the home depot garden center for bonsai material...but, last year I found a couple not so bad pinus sylvestris dwarf varieties. I figured I get to know them a little while before looking in to a nicer collected 'scots' pine in a year or two.

Last summer I pruned the long terminals and the apex and removed old needles and anything "dead". Then I fed it heavily during the fall.

My questions is regarding training...will applying the same techniques as Japanese Black Pine produce similar results with pinus sylvestris? (By that I mean needle pulling, decandling etc...

Bad angle on the photos, but there are tons of branches there are even nice live buds on branches that have had no needles all winter....a good sign Very Happy

Pinus sylvestris training question Scots

Pinus sylvestris training question P1030991

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Pinus sylvestris training question Empty Pinus sylvestris trainging question

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Hello Neil. I can't speak for JBP as I have little experience. If you have dwarf cultivars of Sylvestris, then you will have no problem with back budding. I don't needle pluck at all anymore as this tends to pull out the dormant buds. Instead of this, I cut the needles and prune new growth at the end of July/ beginning of August for best back budding results.

Back to top Go down

Pinus sylvestris training question Empty Re: Pinus sylvestris training question

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:24 am

Thanks Will. Appreciate the tip on needle plucking.

How was your collecting trip you mentioned? I am sure you came home with something good.
Very Happy

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 am

Collecting trip was fruitless. Elms were in leaf, so it was too late and the farmer has reinstated the hedge. The only ones I'll be able to collect in future are the ones away from the bank Pinus sylvestris training question Icon_sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down