Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Shohin and what restrictions are there.

5 posters

Go down

What is Shohin and what restrictions are there. Empty What is Shohin and what restrictions are there.

Post  darky Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:50 am

Hi all I have a question that has been asked of me which I find I cannot answer with any conviction.

Although I have been growing Shohin and Mame for about 10 years now. I have always been led to believe that Ishizuki ( root over and root on rock );
are generally not accepted as, to be allowed on the display with other Shohin.

Why is this? I have three, two are on rock, I can understand these being excluded, as the rock they sit on is to tall. The one that is root over rock is under 170mm ( 6 and a half inches ) from the rim of the pot. Including the pot it measures 210mm ( 8 and one quarter of an inch ), so if any one can enlighten me I would be very grateful.

Darky

darky

Back to top Go down

What is Shohin and what restrictions are there. Empty Re: What is Shohin and what restrictions are there.

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 pm

I've never heard that restriction. I don't pay too much attention to exact size definitions for either shohin or mame. It is more the feeling or image the plants give as to which classification might be assigned -- if you must classify, that is.

If I can sit a tree and pot on the palm of my hand. It is a shohin in my book. If I can sit two of them on my palm, they're both probably mame. Beyond that I don't really fret about it -- I leave that to people who are more uptight about those kinds of things than I am.

My only size definition I pay attention to these days is that if I can't lift it easily, I don't grow it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

What is Shohin and what restrictions are there. Empty Re: What is Shohin and what restrictions are there.

Post  AlainK Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:05 pm

JimLewis wrote:(...) I don't pay too much attention to exact size definitions for either shohin or mame. It is more the feeling or image the plants give as to which classification might be assigned -- if you must classify, that is.
(...)

I couldn't agree more: these classifications are useful in "competitions" or exhibitions, but is it really that important for us?

Not to mention the fact that these rules seem to vary widely from one source to the other:

http://www.wafu.com/theory/mbd-194.htm

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_JapaneseTerms.html

http://en.muxe.net/link.php?n=218&c=132

etc.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  darky Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:46 pm

I do not have any problems with the sizes or there classifications. My problem is the fact that Ishizuki root over rock in particular is not accepted as a piece.
To be displayed with other shohin, can this be right or wrong, as I have always been of the impression that to show Ishizuki in Shohin is frowned on and in some cases not allowed.

Jim you say you have not heard of this. It was from an American site I got this many years ago. When I asked I got ignored so left it at that.

Now I have been asked so that is why I am putting it forward again may be some judges of Bonsai can answer this for me.

Thank you in advance Darky

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:22 pm

In the years I have been involved in the British Shohin Association, I cannot recall ever having heard of this restriction, and indeed have seen several good Shohin root over rock examples. I am going away to ask a few others if this is something they have encountered before but I suspect the answer will be the same.

Maybe, just maybe, you came across a judge or a society that had made up its own rules. That most certainly is something I've encountered, usually from the same people who get their frillies in a fankle over size classifications too!

You may have to Google "fankle".
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  darky Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Thank you for that Fiona. It does make sense what you have said because I have just gone though 20 pages of what Shohin is.

Most explanations say it should fit in one hand, now that is confusing because I can carry a 20 inch tree in one hand oh including the pot.
Although the consensus appears to be 250mm about 10 inches.
So I will now except that what I was told was some ones fankle getting in a frillie. So that I can show a Shohin Ishizuki ( root over rock )

Thank you Fiona. I hope the weather is being kind at the moment.
Darky Smile

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:49 pm

I would not obsess over it. There are bigger problems in this world.

Most explanations say it should fit in one hand, now that is confusing because I can carry a 20 inch tree in one hand oh including the pot.

You're still quite young, I'd guess. It gets harder. Rolling Eyes

But there is a difference between "fit in one hand" and "carry a 20-inch tree in one hand." This one "fits" in my hand (even though I didn't get much hand in the picture). You probably can't easily sit a 20-inch bonsai in he palm of your hand.

What is Shohin and what restrictions are there. Shohin10

If this weren't slightly overpotted, it would fit even better. I consider his root-over-rock privet tp be a shohin.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 pm

"...if I can't lift it easily, I don't grow it...''.

I'm with you on this one Jim...I have 2 that ''...I can't lift...easily...''. They are 2 of the, now, 6 survivors of The Great Southern Arizona Bonsai Disaster of 2007...just can't give them up...yet. Anything I acquire now, will be Shohin, or at least Shohin doable.

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  darky Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:49 am

Not young, not stressing, just seeking answers. It has now been answered it is the discretion of the show coordinator firstly and then the judge.

These points being made available to any person entering said Competition. Or the coordinator allowing the Shohin Ishizuki . Thank you forr your input.

May your Gods be with you at this time. Keep safe.

Darky

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down