Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma

+6
Jay Gaydosh
Seth Ellwood
F. Waheedy
fiona
irene_b
NeilDellinger
10 posters

Go down

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Empty A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Here are a couple of new elms we collected yesterday. Chris (aka Chappy56 thats him pictured) drove all the way to Tulsa from Central Illinois to dig a tree. Here are a few photos. Chris' tree came up easy, as it was growing atop a large slab of rock and had no tap root. The big one I picked was a completely different story. It took the better part of 3 hours and lots of rock smashing and sawing. Not many roots left, so we shall see if it makes it. These trees have an amazing ability to survive.

Both have a long road ahead of them.

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma P1030953
A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma P1030954

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma P1030955
A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Big%20elm2
A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma P1030966

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Empty Re: A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma

Post  irene_b Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Awesome trees fellas!! ThumbsUp
I have found that when collecting them..Even if they look dead for a year they are just getting their roots arranged for a big push!
Irene

irene_b

Back to top Go down

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Empty Re: A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma

Post  fiona Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:56 pm

NeilDellinger wrote:Here are a couple of new elms we collected yesterday. Chris (aka Chappy56 thats him pictured) drove all the way to Tulsa from Central Illinois to dig a tree.

Chris seems to be a Happy Chappy now - and no wonder. Great collects guys. I hope they do make it along their long road. Please keep us posted.

But I really do have to know - Chris's drive from Central Illinois to Tulsa? Did it take the full 24hours? Yeah, I know: if you'd a dollar for every time you've heard it.... A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Icon_rolleyes
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Fiona,
It takes about 8 hours of driving with no breaks. Oklahoma is like driving on a treadmill with the same scenery. But Missouri is always beautiful!

Irene,
Thanks for the encouragement. I have found the same thing to be true.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Neil,

great tree!!! Smile Smile Smile
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Neil that is going to make a awesone tree in a short time you already have everything you need . I have spent the better part of a day digging up a single tree so I know where you are comming from . Some times those trees are the most rewarding and that is what i think this one will bring you. Good luck .

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 am

Stunning trees again Neil. The bark quality is to die for. How much for a plane ticket? I've decided I'm going collecting tomorrow after seeing these. Theres always more room for a couple of Elms. A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:39 am

Hey Will!! You are welcome anytime...Its a great tree, loads of taper. I just hope it makes it. Not too many roots were spared during the "extraction" process. I went out looking for shohin sized material, of which there was plenty. I came home with this thing. Shocked

I think 1 year of new growth and I should have plenty of new shoots for a first styling.

Good luck in your collecting. Please send photos of what you bring home. I am sure it will be great as always.

Good to hear from you as always.
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Great tree, may have to make the same journey Chris made!

BTW, great photo, Chris, now I know who you are. Very Happy

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Just look at that bark! I love Elms, very nice! Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Empty For me it would take 24 hours

Post  Mike Pollock Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:27 pm

So guys, I'll pick up Will at JFK airport. We'll be there 24 hours later.

Try and have a few nice ones like you collected located for us, ok? Smile
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 am

Mike,
Anytime. Chris was blind folded prior to leaving my house (he drove which made this part tough). The spot is top secret. Laughing

There are literally hundreds of these beauties out there. No more cattle, which makes it a necessity to prune them a couple times before collecting.

Glad you guys are enjoying the photos.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

A couple new collected wingled elms fro Oklahoma Empty Allrighty then…

Post  Mike Pollock Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 am

If that's how you want to play it, so be it.

Just be aware, if you hear a British accent and a New York accent in Tulsa, be very afraid. It may be Will and I about to kidnap you an make you divulge the location.

In the meantime, feel free to keep us informed on the progress of this great American yamadori.

PS. You made me apologise to Colin Lewis for arguing that we had no great species to collect.
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy56 Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 am

Thanks again Neil. We've said it before, Bonsai friends are the best friends.
Neil was the best of hosts. But if you go collecting with him be prepared to work your butt off.
And I'd do it all over again too!

If any of you get the opportunity to go collecting with someone experienced do it.
Thanks again Neil.
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 am

Just kidding Mike...there are no secret places. I believe there are loads of places to collect material. In our case, it just took some cows to munch away for awhile on these poor old elms. I cannot believe there are not places like this all over the US just waiting to be discovered!!

Chris,
I had a great time too. You are welcome anytime. We need to make it an annual thing!

Very Happy

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  jon hultgren Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:38 am

Invite me next time too, heck you could pick me up on the way. A couple of trees like that could really spruce up my collection.
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down