Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love a virtual for this larch.

+5
Martijn Willems
Ravi Kiran
mike page
dorothy7774
Smithy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I would love a virtual for this larch. Empty I would love a virtual for this larch.

Post  Smithy Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I bought this at the JOB on the weekend and would love it if somebody could come up with some ideas . i've seen the great virtual's people did of tonys hawthorn and would love a few ideas for this larch.
Iwould like to know which way to go with it so I can cut everything off i don't need and then let it grow for the season and wire in the winter.
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00110
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00212
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00310
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00411
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00511
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00611
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00713
I would love a virtual for this larch. 00812
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

I would love a virtual for this larch. Empty Re: I would love a virtual for this larch.

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:03 am

Perhaps something like this? I worked with some of the existing branches and grew a top. All in one day.. Laughing

I would love a virtual for this larch. Smithy10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

I would love a virtual for this larch. Empty Re: I would love a virtual for this larch.

Post  mike page Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am

Good job Dorothy!
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

I would love a virtual for this larch. Empty Re: I would love a virtual for this larch

Post  Ravi Kiran Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Smithy,

the pics posted by you are closeup of the tree. While they do provide the much needed details, it is difficult to work on a virtual on a closeup pic. Pls do post pics that are give a little more distant perspective of the tree. Preferably more than one.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 am

dorothy7774 wrote:Perhaps something like this? I worked with some of the existing branches and grew a top. All in one day.. Laughing

You should do it exactly as Dorothy has shown... style like a larch!

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:Perhaps something like this? I worked with some of the existing branches and grew a top. All in one day.. Laughing

Thanks ever so much Dorothy for spending the time to do that. I like it very much and I am going to try and execute your design to the best of my abilities. it really does suit the tree.
You know you have a little bit of a talent for this. Cool
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Ravi Kiran wrote:Hi Smithy,

the pics posted by you are closeup of the tree. While they do provide the much needed details, it is difficult to work on a virtual on a closeup pic. Pls do post pics that are give a little more distant perspective of the tree. Preferably more than one.

Ravi
Hi Ravi ,
on the weekend when i have time i will get some more together. it would be interesting to see what you come up with. I'm pretty open minded but I kinda like Dorothys a lot and feel quite attached to it already
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martijn Willems Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 am

Hope you like it Wink

I would love a virtual for this larch. Lariks10
Martijn Willems
Martijn Willems

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks Martijn. I'm enjoying getting these.

On both of the virtuals , you both seem to have used the same photo. The first branch on the right ,on the real tree emerges from the back. Are you suggesting that it is bent around to the front.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 pm

I was going to shorten all the long growth and then let it grow another season and then wire.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 pm

I thought i would update this one. I decided i could use a lot of the branches as they were too thick and straight so i decided to start again. It didn't quite turn out as good as Dorothys virtual. I now have to try and sort out that big root when i repot.
I would love a virtual for this larch. 087
I would love a virtual for this larch. 007-3
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Smithy

nice work Very Happy Very Happy . Very good solution. ThumbsUp But the system forming the right branch is a bit odd. Profile branches. Wink

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks Pavel, yes i know what you mean, i have moved the branches around more since the photo . Tomorrow i will take some more photos and show you from the side.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Pavel, here is a photo of the side of the tree today . What do you think.
I would love a virtual for this larch. 002-2
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Smithy

thank you for your foto.
I think mainly for the construction of the main branches, small branches folding method. Very Happy
I would love a virtual for this larch. 007-310
I would love a virtual for this larch. Mob_711

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Thankyou Pavel, I understand, I will have a go at that.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Nice taper on it now, but that straight root on the right is a bit distracting.

Is it possible to approach graft some young trees onto the base to develop nebari? Just a suggestion, haven't grown larch before so don't really know how well they take to such techniques.

Cheers

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm

RichLewis wrote:Nice taper on it now, but that straight root on the right is a bit distracting.

Is it possible to approach graft some young trees onto the base to develop nebari? Just a suggestion, haven't grown larch before so don't really know how well they take to such techniques.

Cheers

Hi Rich,
That straight root is more than distracting. I've not seen any of the roots below the soil yet so when i repot i'm hoping there are plenty of others there and i might be able to chop it off. Thats the plan anyway, whether things go to plan is a different matter.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't think the position of that root there is totally out of place, if you find you can't remove it perhaps you could bury half of it under the soil so it's more in scale with the rest of the tree

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 pm

I'll have to show you a pic closer up. The trunk flares out nicely to the left ,but about an inch or so below the level of that big root on the right. I guess untill i get it all out of the pot i won't know for sure what to do with it.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:29 pm

I had a little move around of the branches .
I would love a virtual for this larch. 049
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:33 pm

I would love a virtual for this larch. 046
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I thought i would update this thread as its been a long time. Maybe now if i was to do it again i might get it a bit more like Dorothys viirt,but here i am now.
I took the big root off last year to plant it a bit higher in the pot.
I would love a virtual for this larch. 003-9

I wanted to bring the angle of the first branch down.

I would love a virtual for this larch. 014-5

I also want to try the timber twisting ' method that Simon Temblett uses . Here is last years growth in the first pic and then every year i will make a little bigger to get some ripples in the wood.

I would love a virtual for this larch. 004-21
I would love a virtual for this larch. 005-18

I would love a virtual for this larch. 006-13

This is the tree today.

I would love a virtual for this larch. 017-8
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:56 pm

What a fine job Smithy.

Althought the branch tear down looks risky I think there's every chance of a 100% success.

I often stick a flat wedgey bit of horticultural grit in there to take the strain off the wiring and pack it out with plasticine and vaseline for cosmetic effect only. (see the yellow dot on the included pic)

The bit of grit is still in a couple of my trees all grown over

thks

TimR

Last edited by wabashene on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Smithy.
Very nice development. Since I don't do larch and pine. Just wondering how strong the first branch is after that deep cut above the branch?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next