Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I pot this Bougie?

+3
JimLewis
Jaco Kriek
Hawaiian77
7 posters

Go down

How do I pot this Bougie? Empty How do I pot this Bougie?

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 am

Howzit All,

I need some help with this bougainvillea. A friend of mine that works at the Maui airport who takes care of the plants said that I can have two bougies that he has at the airports greenhouse. I'll show you the first bougainvillea then later the second one.

Now this bougie has been growing like this for years out of the pot.
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0313
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0314

As you can see, the root has grown so big that it supports it self. It's been growing like this for about five years.
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0315
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0317

I really like this tree because of the way the truck and branches have grown and I think that this could be a really cool bonsai. My question is, how do I plant this puppy?? Should I pruned back some of the roots then put it a grow pot or do I just plant it as is?? Much Mahalo for the advice. Very Happy

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

How do I pot this Bougie? Empty Re: How do I pot this Bougie?

Post  Jaco Kriek Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 am

Hi Tim

I'm no Boug expert but I wonder if you can't cut like shown below? I know bougs are pretty strong to regrow roots. This way you will get it in a bonsai pot.

Regards

How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0310
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 am

Jaco Kriek wrote:Hi Tim

I'm no Boug expert but I wonder if you can't cut like shown below? I know bougs are pretty strong to regrow roots. This way you will get it in a bonsai pot.

Regards

How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0310

Mahalo (Thank You) Jaco,

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not to concern about getting it into a bonsai pot for now. What I want to do is get in a grow box and let it get healthy and strong then work on where I want it to go then think about a bonsai pot.

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:40 pm

But what has been done with it while we're posting back and forth? Surely it hasn't been sitting out in the air and sun all that time! I hope you kept the roots wet and cool.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Tim,
You should be able to cut back to the point referenced without any problems. I've done this with my large boug, that was back in Illinois.....so given that you're in a better climate you should have not problems. Clean sharp cut and aftercare make a difference.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:25 pm

JimLewis wrote:Surely it hasn't been sitting out in the air and sun all that time! I hope you kept the roots wet and cool.

Jim, I could be wrong, but I think he's saying that this is it. This is how it's been kept for five years. I have never seen anything like this. To say I'm dumbstruck is an understatement.

I can only guess that the thick and hardened outer coil of roots have formed a natural "pot" of sorts that holds and protects the feeder roots.

Tim,
If I where you I would not cut anything at all in that root mass. This is a mini-marvel and should be displayed as such. Sure you can put it in a pot as is. Why not. Those roots are the trees greatest feature. Consider keeping it this way. Bury the lowest ring in the pot and let the rest stay exposed.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Mahalo Guys,

Just to give ya'll a little background about this bougie. From what my friend told me is that one of he's co-works wanted to make a bonsai with it. After a while he forget about it. (Like most first timers) Because it got root bound someone took it out of the pot and left it on the growing table and thats how it started it's life. The greenhouse has a automatic sprinkler system so it has a lot of water. I asked my friend how offend does he feeds the bougie and he said " Depends on where the moon is at night". (He's a nut case) geek So he hardly if any feeds it.

Ed, I was thinking about that and using the roots as it's feature. I was thinking a Penjing style or using a cascading pot with the roots exposed. Not sure yet but will not take it till I have a plan of action.
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm

This is very cool. Is there life in all the branches? Or is some of it dead?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote:This is very cool. Is there life in all the branches? Or is some of it dead?

Howzit Joe,

There still life in in some of those branches. Very Happy What I'm planning to do is leave it there for now and pruned back some of them and hit it with some superthrive until it's healthy enough to where I can pot it up. Mahalo's to the forum for some great ideas!! ThumbsUp

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Howzit Guys,
This is just an up-date to my airport bougie. I took it home, pruned back the branches, cleaned around the root system and potted up. Lets see how it goes. Smile

-Tim Cool

[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?
i=36&u=14769225]How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0324[/url]
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0325
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0326
How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0327
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:34 am

That looks good. Smile Hope it works out for you.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:54 am

Joe Hatfield wrote:That looks good. Smile Hope it works out for you.

Mahalo Cuz......ThumbsUp Me to!! Wink

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Pola Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 am

WOW!! Really like this tree my freind. I'm sure it'll turn out nice. Good luck and keep us posted!
btw...first post!! cheers
Pola
Pola

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun May 09, 2010 7:44 am

Pola wrote:WOW!! Really like this tree my freind. I'm sure it'll turn out nice. Good luck and keep us posted!
btw...first post!! cheers

Mahalo (Thank You) Pola,
I just started to wire the new growth and I'll post it up soon. Also, Aloha and Welcome to the forum and your first post.. Very Happy Very Happy I'm sure you'll learn a lot and make new friends here. ThumbsUp When you have a chance please post up some of your bonsai's.
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 am

Howzit Guys,
Just an update of how my bougie is doing. I had just wired the new growth into a semi-cascading style.

-Tim Cool

How do I pot this Bougie? Img_0345
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Pola Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 am

Looking good! Thanks for the nice welcome! I don't own any ''finished'' bonsai yet (started in the hobby last year) so i don't have alot to show off yet. I do have some trees that are in the process,so i'll post some of those soon. Again,very nice tree!
Pola
Pola

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Mon May 10, 2010 7:54 am

Pola wrote:Looking good! Thanks for the nice welcome! I don't own any ''finished'' bonsai yet (started in the hobby last year) so i don't have alot to show off yet. I do have some trees that are in the process,so i'll post some of those soon. Again,very nice tree!

Much Mahalo and Ha'ole Pilikea (No Problem) Pola,
If you have any questions about your trees please post them with your questions and I'm sure we all can give you a hand in helping you achieve what you want out of them. ThumbsUp Smile

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down