A pot of Pleiones

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A pot of Pleiones

Post  Dave Martin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Here is a picture of a pot of Pleione orchids. I had forgotten to take them into my garage and as a result they froze solid in -10degsC. Luckily they hadnt been sujected to a lot of rain and the soil is well drained comprising of 70% medium to coarse grained Fuji grit with peat based compost forming the remaining 30%.

When I took them indoors they were obviously okay and as a result of the higher temperature have bloomed some 4-6 weeks early. But not in time for the Swindon show.





Best wishes
Dave.

Dave Martin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  Dave Martin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:44 pm

The pot of course is a flying saucer from Dan and Ci Barton.

Dave Martin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  Kev Bailey on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Exquisite!

_________________
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin.

Kev Bailey
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  bigsteve on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 pm

really beautiful composition dave
you really have a knack of producing some stunning accents
steve

bigsteve
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  Dave Martin on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 am

Here are two other varieties of pleiones both owned by my partner Dora

(Note to Big Steve; Even YOU would be unable to prise them from her grasp even if you used all your charms!)


A red spotted white pleione


Pink pleione

I beleive the bloom on the left is unusual as it is a double flower from a single flower bud.


Dave Martin
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  Todd Ellis on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 am

These are stunning!

Todd Ellis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  rmartin345 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:17 am

Its a very nice picture.I like very much this plant.Pleione are winter-dormant and are ideal for pot cultivation under cool glass as long as they can be stored free of frost. One or two species appreciate a warmer growth cycle.That Pleione looks incredible,Huge and Very nice.When the US and Vietnam get the CITES mess worked out, the Pleione would be a wonderful seller for export.

rmartin345
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: A pot of Pleiones

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:58 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum