Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Bougainvillea Bonsai

+2
chappy56
Muppets
6 posters

Go down

My Bougainvillea Bonsai Empty My Bougainvillea Bonsai

Post  Muppets Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 pm

My Bougainvillea Bonsai IMG_6855

New to bonsai as compared to a lot of the experts here. Did a soil and pot change for this bonsai about 3 months back and have been pruning it. Was very happy with the burst of flowers. The above photo I just took yesterday. Think the flowers will last for a few weeks and after that I'll prune away the flowers again.

Muppets

Back to top Go down

My Bougainvillea Bonsai Empty Re: My Bougainvillea Bonsai

Post  chappy56 Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 pm

I only wish my first bonsai looked like that.
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am

wow, that's a stunning bonsai
What a Face What a Face What a Face pirat farao queen elephant flower
Justin

Last edited by sitarbonsai on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : wasn't aware of being "bonsai" politically correct, sometime us young uns' forget about societies social rules)
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm

sitarbonsai wrote:wow, that's a stunning bonsai how much did that cost? Justin

Ah... to be young again Rolling Eyes, you ask the questions we all want to know the answer to... but its rather bad form to discuss price

Its like asking a beautiful woman here age... ask and you may well not get the answer you were expecting...

Price is whatever anyone is prepared to pay... and NOT something broadcast on the web.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:02 pm

First, it doesn't even have to be a beautiful woman. Just don't ask! If they want you to know their age, they will tell you.

Price, worth, value and bargain, all very subjective concepts. A seller sets the "price" and can put any price on it they want. The buyer sets the "worth" by either buying, bargaining or walking away. A value meets somewhere in the spread. When the seller and the buyer reach an agreeable price we find value. Usually, when the buyer has knowledge not held by the seller and that information is used to reach a better than expected price, you then end up with a bargain. (Or when the seller knows what he has, but needs the cash!)

To me, all of that, when dealing in bonsai, is absolutely worthless. I'm more interested in the history of the tree and how it came to look like it does and can I duplicate the effort.

JMO! Very Happy

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Well said Cuz!! Very Happy

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks, Tim.

Meanwhile back at the Bougie!

This is more of a question than an observation or recommendation.

With MOST bonsai, the bottom third is trunk, the next third is trunk to show taper and initial branching the top third is ramification, leaves or needles. The object is to open up the middle third to provide the "bird's-eye view" such that a path through the tree can be visualized as a bird flies through the tree.

When dealing with flowering bonsai, the middle third is frequestly allowed to fill out more displaying the flowers that the trunk.

Would this be a mistake?

As an example, the bougainvillia shown at the beginning of the thread, the foliage and flowers cover the trunk in the middle third, hiding the details of the trunk and initial branching.

While it is a beautifull tree, are we sacrificing beauty of the tree's structure to the emphasis of the flowers?

Again, just a thought seeking resolution(s). Either way...nice tree!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Muppets Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

OK will not state the price, even though I'm a guy Very Happy Actually bought this when it was on sale, the leaves were droping, pot was broken and not a single flower on the plant, so dont even know what colour the flowers will turn out to be. I just like the thick and structured trunk and so went ahead and buy it. Always like to buy bonsai which I see when there are more potential to groom it further, in this way its still not that expensive.

Also more comments please on how to improve the look of this bonsai in my next pruning.

Muppets

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Sooooo. To bring this back before poor Justin thinks we're all getting at him.

Maybe you could tell us a little more about the tree, Muppets? Is it a tree common in Singapore? How does it respond to the climate? I can't quite work out where you have sited it in your house as it looks like it might be indoors or in a porch at the very least.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Oops. Our posts crossed in the ether!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Muppets Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi Fiona,
Bougainvillea are very common in Singapore. They come in so many different colours and some even have a few colours in one plant. They are very hardy plants but needs lots of sun and water and they grow very fast but its hard to find those with thick trunks. They are planted on the roadside and on road dividers and trained as a hedge. They bloom the whole year round. The bracts will fade before they drop off.
Mine is actually placed along my drive way with full afternoon sun. Even this was not good enough for him as he only flowers on the side with the full sun and the other side is completely empty. The photo I posted is when I carried it into the house just to add a dash of colour. I usually bring in my bonsai for about 2 days before I change to another one.

Muppets

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down