Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just acquired many pots looking for some identification.

+5
fiona
Russell Coker
landerloos
Rick Moquin
Joe Hatfield
9 posters

Go down

I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. Empty I just acquired many pots looking for some identification.

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 am

Hey, I have just acquired a little over 75 or so, pots. Many of them are Chinese made from what I can gather but some have markings I'm not familiar with. Any help would be lovely!
1.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3510[/img]

2.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3512[/img]
3.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3513[/img]
4.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3514[/img]
5.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3515[/img]
6.[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3516[/img]
7.I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3517
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. Empty Re: I just acquired many pots looking for some identification.

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:50 am

And just to give you an idea of my great luck.....

[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3518[/img]

And that's not all of them! I'll spare you the rest. Except the one moment my wife captured of me.

[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3519[/img]
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. Empty Re: I just acquired many pots looking for some identification.

Post  Rick Moquin Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:51 pm

I had a link (pot chop dictionary) http://www.yamadori.nl/Bonsai_Schalen_Asia.htm but that seems to have been replaced.

Don't leave us dangling, how did your good fortune manifest itself?
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 pm

The hanko site is moved to this one: http://bonsaipotplaza.com/

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:44 pm

landerloos wrote:The hanko site is moved to this one: http://bonsaipotplaza.com/

Peter

Peter, thanks for that!

Joe, looks like a pretty nice haul.

The sixth pot looks like Yama-aki, more specifically Toshio Kataoka. The site above doesn't mention that the Kataoka family uses the name 'Yama-aki", which is really how their pots are known. You will see many pots listed as Yama-aki in the "Bay Island Bonsai Exhibit 2010" in the BONSAI forum.

Try this link for more detail on Tokoname. http://tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/catalog/maker-e.htm

Have fun!

Russell

Last edited by Russell Coker on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote: ..... the one moment my wife captured of me.

I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3519

Was this just before she clattered you one for messing up the living room floor? I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. Icon_lol

Good haul. Let us know how your research into the chops went, and if any of them are priceless antiques remember that I've ALWAYS liked you! I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. Icon_evil
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:06 pm

landerloos wrote:The hanko site is moved to this one: http://bonsaipotplaza.com/

Peter

Thank you this will be very helpful.

Rick, I was looking on a classifieds web site for my area and searched the word "bonsai" like I do once a month. The posts that pop up are usually sub par so, I wasn't expecting much. Out of one of the 3 posts (and thats a lot for the norm') I see someone trying to sell the lot of pots for $150 or each pot at $5 -$10. After contacting the seller, he supplied me with pictures of a couple boxes of pots, "Nothing really to get excited about", I thought. After a few e mails he mentioned he had a few other things for sale as well as a few trees. "WOW now this is getting interesting", So we arranged to meet this past Saturday.

The drive took 1 hour 30 min. It would have been difficult to convince my pregnant wife to drag herself and my 5yr old son Tyler out for a long drive in icy cold weather but, I'm still riding on the "coat tails" of a birthday so, it was an easy card to play.

When I got there, he showed me what he was selling. It was well worth the drive. He was very generous on the pots he gave me. More then what I had thought. They range from 2 inches in Diameter to (brace your self) 2ft. I was very surprised with his generosity and bought the lot. He also showed me a few trees he was selling. If it wasn't for the lack of room in my car and the lack of funds in my wallet, I might have bought them all.

I also purchased this from him at a VERY good price. BAH! my camera just died. I was only able to get a couple pics. More to come later. It's a black pine.
[img]I just acquired many pots looking for some identification. 100_3521[/img]

Fiona, She emphasized the word "vacuum" and "card board" many times. Wink

Last edited by Joe Hatfield on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Russell, Thank you for the information and the link. I'm new to pot identification and this is helping greatly.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Peter I think you are right about the 6th one.

The 5th one is a Sankyou

Found this site also.. http://bonsaipotplaza.com/world/bonsaiasia.html
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Peter
Thank you berry much Very Happy (sorry Fiona, the devil made me do it) Wink
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Now a word of advice if you don't want to spend the money you saved on the pots with a divorce attorney, plan on taking a loooooooooong time filling them Wink Very Happy
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Try this link for more detail on Tokoname. http://tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/catalog/maker-e.htm

Thanks for that Russell.
Dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi,

Wow, that's an interesting find indeed!

(Just thinking how my wife would have reacted to such news - well, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have bothered to take pictures documenting my delight, to say the least Twisted Evil)

It would be great if you could also show a few pictures of some of the pots that these hankos belong to! Oh, and another thing - please no aggressive detergents when cleaning these babies, remember it's all about patina ;-)

Russell Coker wrote:The sixth pot looks like Yama-aki, more specifically Toshio Kataoka. The site above doesn't mention that the Kataoka family uses the name 'Yama-aki", which is really how their pots are known.
Interesting, that should probably be added to that site - AFAIK Yamaaki is the name of the kiln.

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Well done on your good fortune.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:45 pm

sulrich wrote:Interesting, that should probably be added to that site - AFAIK Yamaaki is the name of the kiln.

Stefan, "Yama-aki" is the "trade" or "pen name", and like you I assume it to be the family kiln. (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!)

My point, as you noted, was that the first site identifies the makers' names only. Not too many people know which Kataokas make "Yama-aki" pots (to confuse things even more, another Kataoka makes pots under the name "Seizan"), or that Takehiko Koie makes "Yamafusa" pots. If Boon had called the pots in his "Bay Island" show thread "Kataoka pots" no one would know who he was talking about.

The Tokoname list gives a little more detail, but only about Tokoname.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:53 am

Rick Moquin wrote:Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Now a word of advice if you don't want to spend the money you saved on the pots with a divorce attorney, plan on taking a loooooooooong time filling them Wink Very Happy

Well said sir! I am reading the posts with Heather right now and read yours out loud to her. She said you were a smart man and it was great advice. LOL
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 am

Hey Joe.

So how many pots did you end up with, but more importantly, how many are actually worth keeping?

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I believe around 75 or so pots and 25-30 bottom trays. I would say all 85% are worth keeping. The other 15% will probably go to gift trees for "noob" friends and family.

I will get some pics up as soon as this camera finds his mate, the charger.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Nice haul Joe, I'm sure that you will find a use for most of them.
Interesting little tree by the way Wink

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Here is a link to most of them. In case anyone wanted to see. Smile ---------> POTS!

This also makes doing virtuals of trees in different pots a little easier if you use the images in some editing program cheers
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down