Books on kusamono and/or accents

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books on kusamono and/or accents

Post  Harleyrider on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:27 am

Can anyone recommend a good book/s on kusamono and/or accents? My good lady wife's birthday is coming up and I exhausted all my present-buying options over Christmas.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Two birds with one stone.

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 am

Harleyrider wrote:Can anyone recommend a good book/s on kusamono and/or accents? My good lady wife's birthday is coming up and I exhausted all my present-buying options over Christmas.
Four seasons of bonsai, by Kyuzo Murata is a very good book. It deals with both bonsai and accents, with emphasis on the later. The book moves gently through the seasons with excellent photography. A book I go back to again and again. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: Books on kusamono and/or accents

Post  Kev Bailey on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree with Will, that's the one I was going to recommend. You'll probably have to search around a bit to find a good copy at a reasonable price. Most of the second hand ones are ex-library or are extremely expensive. It's usually around £22 if you can find it "new".

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Well, if you two say that's the one, then that's good enough for me.

I'll let you know what I turn up.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Seasons-Bonsai-Kyuzo-Murata/dp/4770014988/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264964030&sr=8-2
definately the book to have

bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Does anyone know how the new edition is compared to the original?
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-Bonsai-Kyuzo-Murata/dp/4770021208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264970935&sr=8-1

I think Carlos (Kusa51) should just go ahead and write one Very Happy. I would like to put my name down for the pre-order list.

Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:38 pm

How about BONSAI KUSAMONO SUISAKI A Practical Guide for Organizing Displays with Plants and Stones by Willi Benz.

Not a propagation guide, however, a masterpiece of a guide for organizing displays.

Pat…mounted on my trusted stead, riding off wildly in all directions…

bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 pm

There are only 12 pages in Willi Benz's volume on Kusamono and the rest is on the display of Suiseki and Bonsai, otherwise I'd have recommended it.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:10 pm

I found Kyuzo Murata's Four seasons of bonsai on Amazon. They've got new hardbacks for $27 and used for $3-4.

Bargain!

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 pm

I bought one of the new editions for $12 on amazon and I have the old edition from the local library and they are remarkably similar. Laughing Looks like a great addition to the library.

Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:41 pm

"Kyuzo Murata's Four Seasons of Bonsai" is a wonderful book!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm

I just picked up this book (1st edition) for 4.00. I would have paid retail price. What an awesome book.

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 am

Thank you Bugeye, for resurecting this thread...

About a year back, I put up a very brief post about Willi Benz's book Bonsai Kusamono Suiseki...which I feel, his remarks on Kusamono alone, make it a worthwhile book.

Kev Bailey said "...There are only 12 pages in Willi Benz's volume on Kusamono..". I ask you Kev, my friend, are we looking at two different books by Willi? My copy has 46 pages on kusamono. I know that Willi's primary thrust was organizing displays. However, my copy of B-K-S has 46 pages devoted to Kusamono. Maybe that's because my ancient brain and eyes require LARGE PRINT??? :-) :-) :-)

Kev...I hope I havent opened a can of worms or a barrel of snakes...

Pat...riding of wildly, on my white horse, in all directions...

bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum