Ume in Japan

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ume in Japan

Post  Kev Bailey on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:54 am

First some flower forms



and a few trees





These were taken in Kinashi village and at Shunka En.

_________________
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin.

Kev Bailey
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  andy mcconnell on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am

stunning !!!
wishing spring would arrive cheers

andy mcconnell
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  sitarbonsai on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 am

really beautiful
I love the first bonsai, it's stunning
where can I get one? Smile

sitarbonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Gæst on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 am

Ume are one of the most impressive and strong looking flowering specimens when old. These ones are truly stunning. Great pictures. Very Happy

Regards
Morten

Gæst
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  anttal63 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:36 am

Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing Kev. cheers

anttal63
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  littleart-fx on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:25 am

These trees are stunning, in fact they throw this image upon us as it says respect and I will show FLOWERS!

For this year I want to set my hands on one as I buy 1 good tree a year and must say this should be it.

Yesterday this was underlined by mr Theunis Jan Klein at Noelanders, he'd put one in the show
(with a table which I have made underneath and I didn't know)

coincidence doesn't exist!

Thanks Kev for sharing!

littleart-fx
Member


Back to top Go down

ume

Post  art_rod on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm

sitarbonsai wrote:really beautiful
I love the first bonsai, it's stunning
where can I get one? Smile


you should contact george muranaka if you want a ume.
visit muranakabonsainursery.com

art rod.

art_rod
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  John Quinn on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:00 pm

[quote="art_rod"]
sitarbonsai wrote:

you should contact george muranaka if you want a ume.
visit muranakabonsainursery.com

art rod.
That link doesn't work. Try this, http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ , although there is nothing listed under items for sale.

_________________
"Eschew obfuscation"

John Quinn
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  sitarbonsai on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:18 pm

[quote="John Quinn"]
art_rod wrote:
sitarbonsai wrote:

you should contact george muranaka if you want a ume.
visit muranakabonsainursery.com

art rod.
That link doesn't work. Try this, http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ , although there is nothing listed under items for sale.

That link works, but it doesn't have anything in the shop
but, I'm not really interested in getting one
I wouldn't want to ship a bonsai across the country, especially a flowering species
I was just joking, because the species is so beautiful
Thanks anyways,

Justin

sitarbonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Pavel Slovák on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Kev.

Beautiful. Thanks for the approach of spring. Very Happy (We are now -18 ° C. Neutral )

Pavel

Pavel Slovák
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  art_rod on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:17 pm

[quote="sitarbonsai"][quote="John Quinn"]
art_rod wrote:
sitarbonsai wrote:

you should contact george muranaka if you want a ume.
visit muranakabonsainursery.com

art rod.
That link doesn't work. Try this, http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ , although there is nothing listed under items for sale.

That link works, but it doesn't have anything in the shop
but, I'm not really interested in getting one
I wouldn't want to ship a bonsai across the country, especially a flowering species
I was just joking, because the species is so beautiful
Thanks anyways,

all you gotta do is call him about your ume request.
his last entry for 2010 in his blog shows a pic full of umes he has available.
he starts shipping in February.

art_rod
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  peter keane on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:37 am

FYI. I went to the muranaka site blog. there are no images of ume, or other trees for that matter. the email must be misspelled because it came back to me as undeliverable. The content of the blog was in a language other than english. so, my question is ???????????????

peter keane
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  William Feldman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 am

That "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet", etc., is kind of a standard block of text for websites under development.

Muranaka's does have a number of prebonsai in their eBay online store, including an ume. I think it's pretty young, though, so it might be a while before it blooms. Also, it looks like it was grown from a seedling, so there's no predicting what the blossoms will look like:

http://stores.ebay.com/Muranaka-Bonsai-Nursery-1978

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190367362902&Category=20524&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_720wt_772

Speaking of which, if you live in the US and are tempted by a nice-looking ume on eBay, be sure to read the customer reviews and make sure the vendor doesn't actually ship from overseas. The "item location" specified on the auction page can be misleading.


Last edited by William Feldman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add warning)

William Feldman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  lol on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Hello
You can find a very old and promising mume on : http://www.espritsdegoshin.fr/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=9022&Itemid=2
laurent

lol
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Rob Kempinski on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

sitarbonsai wrote:

That link works, but it doesn't have anything in the shop
but, I'm not really interested in getting one
I wouldn't want to ship a bonsai across the country, especially a flowering species
I was just joking, because the species is so beautiful
Thanks anyways,

Justin

Good call. Ume or plum will not live in south Florida. Too hot and no dormant period.

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Good call. Ume or plum will not live in south Florida. Too hot and no dormant period.

Very true Rob, and sad for us southerners, but I've come across what seems like an acceptable stand in. My local nursery has started carrying peach trees that thrive in our climate (developed at U.F.) that honestly look a lot like the trees in these photos. They are in flower right now and the white/pink flowers are wonderful.

I'm going to grab one later. My concern is with the roots. I don't know how much I can safely cut without killing the tree. Any ideas?

Ed

EdMerc
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  William Feldman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Okay, here is the actual Muranaka blog. Found it using a Google search.
http://muranakabonsainursery.blogspot.com/

And here is the photo of the ume at the nursery:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sj5zq3fJURw/S1er8cYffDI/AAAAAAAAAGI/lxJsb5c9DG4/s1600-h/nursume.jpg

William Feldman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  peter keane on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for making the effort to locate these. rabbit

peter keane
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Joe Hatfield on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Oh my quite stunning.

Joe Hatfield
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  peter keane on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:36 pm

lol wrote:Hello
You can find a very old and promising mume on : http://www.espritsdegoshin.fr/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=9022&Itemid=2
laurent

wonderful material for sale. Too bad they can't be shipped to the States. sigh

peter keane
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  sitarbonsai on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
sitarbonsai wrote:

That link works, but it doesn't have anything in the shop
but, I'm not really interested in getting one
I wouldn't want to ship a bonsai across the country, especially a flowering species
I was just joking, because the species is so beautiful
Thanks anyways,

Justin

Good call. Ume or plum will not live in south Florida. Too hot and no dormant period.

Thanks, I thought that it would to different from the conditions it would usually grow in Japan, especially considering there's no dormant period. In Florida to fill are flowering bonsai craving, we go for Bougainvillea, which love the heat/humidity and no dormant period Smile
thanks,

Justin

sitarbonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Tom McCue on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Just a note on George Muranaka. He has beautiful pre-bonsai stock. His shipping is perfect. I have purchased several times from him and each item was better than described. He sells on ebay. He has a nusery in California.

Tom McCue
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 pm

EdMerc wrote:
Rob Kempinski wrote:Good call. Ume or plum will not live in south Florida. Too hot and no dormant period.

Very true Rob, and sad for us southerners, but I've come across what seems like an acceptable stand in. My local nursery has started carrying peach trees that thrive in our climate (developed at U.F.) that honestly look a lot like the trees in these photos. They are in flower right now and the white/pink flowers are wonderful.

I'm going to grab one later. My concern is with the roots. I don't know how much I can safely cut without killing the tree. Any ideas?

Ed

Hey Y'all.

We have one here on the north Gulf Coast that flowers well with deep pink blooms. The variety is 'Peggy Clark'. Someone here must have developed it and named it after his wife! Shocked Anyway, I haven't tried any of the others but this one seems fine with less chill hours. I know we are still comparing apples (apricots) to oranges as far as zones go, but this one may be worth a try.

Russell

Russell Coker
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 am

Russell Coker wrote:
Hey Y'all.

We have one here on the north Gulf Coast that flowers well with deep pink blooms. The variety is 'Peggy Clark'. Someone here must have developed it and named it after his wife! Shocked Anyway, I haven't tried any of the others but this one seems fine with less chill hours. I know we are still comparing apples (apricots) to oranges as far as zones go, but this one may be worth a try.

Russell

Hey Russel, but even the Gulf Coast in Alabama is at least a zone or two lower than me and certainly South Florida. So no can do.

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  William Feldman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:19 am

Here are some shots from Seiju-en nursery in Kawaguchi-Angyo, not too far from Omiya.





William Feldman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Ume in Japan

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:56 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum