Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Elm

+5
Harleyrider
anttal63
Rick Moquin
andy mcconnell
Jay Wilson
9 posters

Go down

Another Elm Empty Another Elm

Post  Jay Wilson Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 am

There has been lots of really nice elms posted lately, so I thought I would throw one of my not so nice ones in there.

This is a florida elm I've been working on. Still has a way to go, but it's coming along.

Rob Kempinski had one on the old IBC he called 'styled by hurricane'. This one of mine reminds me that one, but only as a poor copy. Maybe Rob will post a picture of his to compare to?

I know the pot is no good for this tree, but it's still in development.
The long straight branch at the right of the hollow area is a thread graft that took, but has yet to throw buds down closer to the trunk. This year, I hope.
The area between the straight limb and the main trunk needs to be notched out a bit , but I'm waiting until the graft is growing like I want.

I think I need to remove and regrow most of the branches in the top-You can't really see in this picture, but they're in need of serious work.

Then there's the nebari........'Shocked'

Another Elm P1100710
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Another Elm Empty Re: Another Elm

Post  andy mcconnell Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 am

great tree...very natural looking
i think the pot matches the tree very well
andy
andy mcconnell
andy mcconnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 am

Wonderful start to this tree. I think it is time to concentrate on the branches and branch placement vs the outer silhouette.

Some detail wring and judicious pruning ((tip growth) no branch definition)) will undoubtedly bring it to the next level and where you want to go. The right side requires some serious attention, or else the tree is going to run away from you.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 am

i like this tree and if it were mine i would exploit this idea. cheers

Another Elm P1100713
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:21 pm

I wouldn't say this tree is a 'not so nice one', Jay. Unless, of course, you have much better ones in your collection?

Personally, I think it offers a lot of potential. But like Rick says, you need to do something now before the tree takes its own route!

I also agree with Andy, the pot looks fine. A fraction too deep, if anything, but other than that......

Keep us up to date on whatever you decide to do with this tree, Jay.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks Andy, I do try to make my trees look somewhat natural. It's nice when someone notices.

Rick: You said what I was trying to say but only better. I've got a trunk with potential but the branches and nebari need much work. Thanks for your input.

ant, interesting idea. That had never occurred to me, but now I'll have to take a serious look at going in that direction. Thanks.

Harleyrider, Nah, I don't have anything much better than this. If you saw this tree in person you would see all the flaws as I do. There is a lot to work on, but these florida elms are quick to make improvements with. Give me and it two or three more years and then maybe it could be called 'nice'.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 pm

did you collect this?
thanks,

Justin

Last edited by sitarbonsai on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Before I lopped off that entire side, I'd simply try to put some movement in this branch. That may be enough.Another Elm P1100710
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  andy mcconnell Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

jay
whats wrong with the rootbase?
looks fine in the pictures
andy
andy mcconnell
andy mcconnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I agree with Jim (amazingly) wire or chop that one branch and work on carving some taper in the other branches, especailly the chunky ones.

Here is my Florida ELm as of today that I called "Styled by Wilma." The pot is by Tom Dimmig. Note the shari has died back all the way to the roots but without lime sulfur is still holding out pretty well. This was collected about 5 or 6 years ago.

Another Elm 2010_010
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 am

Thanks Rob! That's the one I was thinking of. Sorry I had the name wrong.

Sitar, I'm not sure where you would find these in the wild. The ones I've collected have come from the side of my drive. The general area is classified as wetlands, but it's mostly high and dry most of the year.

Andy, look at Robs nebari....

Jim and Rob, That limb certainly needs movement. It's long and straight because it was a thread graft made last year. I was hoping for a bud or two to breakdown close to the trunk, but so far it hasn't happened. I may have damaged the bark and latent buds when I pulled it through the hole. This year I'll let it grow a while then cut it hard to try to get it to pop something closer to the trunk to cut back to to get some movement. If nothing pops, I think this limb is a lost cause. There is too much length before any branching for even wiring to fix. I may have to thread graft the thread graft.. Thank you both for your thoughts, your opinions mean a lot to me.

Here's a picture of the tree and graft in mid feb. 2009.
Another Elm P2190110
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

I agree that it needs work in that straight branch area to become much more attractive.

Great work with the thread graft. I would feed the tree well as it gets going this season and then chop the straight threaded branch at the point where you want a change in angle. It should respond with many tiny buds at and just below the chop site. Hard as it is, select two (or three) to stay. You only need one, the others are for safety.

All elms are such vigorous growers, you need to really keep on top of them with regular chopping, trimming and pinching to get the movement and ramification you desire.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum