Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citrus progression

4 posters

Go down

Citrus progression Empty Citrus progression

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm

This is a Calamondin orange over the last few years....the next step will be a container change late next summer.

Regards,
TomCitrus progression Citrus10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Citrus progression Empty Re: Citrus progression

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:26 pm

A couple of years later...Citrus progression Citrus14
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 pm

The tree in early 2010.Citrus progression Citrus15
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeJames Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Looks great.

Is that seriously a tiny little orange there? I thought fruit usually don't reduce at all. Or does this species generally produce small fruit?

In any case, awesome tree. Love that bark.
GeorgeJames
GeorgeJames

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 pm

You are correct George. Fruit do not reduce. Calamondin actually produce tiny mandarin type oranges no more than an inch in diameter. I have one in the ground I'm growing out for a few years.

Another bonus of this tree is that once it bears fruit, the fruit stay on the tree and keep for almost the entire year. It's a fascinating tree.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:35 am

Wow Tom; that was a courageous chop! I might have chosen a different trunk line, but I applaud your results with citrus species in West Virginia. I struggle with citrus here in coastal California; I can’t imagine the lengths you have to go to to keep them happy in such a cold-winter climate. But then again you have the warm humid summers they love which are only a fleeting fall dream here in San Francisco… So at least you can keep them happy for a few months each year.

Good luck with the Calamondin – BTW since Chinese New Years is coming up you may be interested to know that Calamondins are considered very fortuitous. I think it’s because the fruit is on the tree this time of year and resembles gold coins (but I’m no scholar on the subject.)

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down