Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virginia strawberry accent

4 posters

Go down

Virginia strawberry accent Empty Virginia strawberry accent

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:24 pm

During the winter season where I live in Zone 6 the stone is more interesting than the accent plant...in the spring it livens up with yellow flowers followed by little red fruits....I will try to post again then.

Regards,
TomVirginia strawberry accent Virgin10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Virginia strawberry accent Empty Re: Virginia strawberry accent

Post  Gæst Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

First time I see somebody else trying out this specimen as accent. Nice.
Here is mine.

Regards
Morten

Virginia strawberry accent DSC09588

Gæst

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Good day, Morten....lovely composition....thanks for sharing! It is good to see another one Smile

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:54 pm

I've though of it often, but like so many things in the world, I've kept putting it off.

Both of those look interesting and I look forward to seeing Tom's in the better season for it. But that looks like a mostly limestone rock, Tom. Strawberries don't like lime. Do you have trouble keeping it healthy?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi, Jim:

Regarding my planting I really can't take initial credit for it That belongs to Mother Nature The stone had been laying in the yard for sometime, having been a castoff from a workshop saekei (sp.?) composition from several years ago that had gone by the wayside. At that time my teacher referred to the stones we were using as "inland coral"...a term that I had never heard of....could very well be that the stone is of a limestone composition, but I am not sure. Anyway, about three years ago while doing yard work in the spring I "rediscovered" the stone, this time with a strawberry plant having taken root in one of the pockets. I have nurtured it ever since and have grown kind of fond of it....regarding its health, I have had no trouble with it to speak of. It has flowered and fruited pretty well each of the last couple of years and has remained pest free for the most part. I fertilize it by injection of Miracle Gro directly into the root zone with a syringe periodically during the growing season....sorry to ramble. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Inland coral is probably a local name for Tufa, a precipitated form of calcium carbonate or aragonite and high-magnesium calcite that is often used by Alpine growers for tender subjects. Unusually some lime haters thrive on this as a growing medium.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 am

very interesting accents
accents can often be forgotten, but they really can make a great tokonoma display
good work,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down