hindsight in repotting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hindsight in repotting

Post  Cordon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm

I've almost finished reporting all of my material. At this point my collection only consists of rought material that I'm growing out for eventual styling. I've moved them from nursey cans into grow boxes that I've built. Hopefully the better drainage and more air to the root zone will lead to better growth all around.

While I was untangling the rat's nest of roots it allowed me to make a mental note: "Always untangle the roots and spread them radially especially with young material." When I repotted these plants 2 years ago, I just took them from the 4 inch pot I purchased them in and placed them in the larger pot without disturbing the rootball. This lead to an incredible knot, especially with my elms. Two more years, maybe I'll have something worth working on. Smile

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Re: hindsight in repotting

Post  William Feldman on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Cordon wrote:I've almost finished reporting all of my material

When you finish reporting them, will you repot them too? Smile

Speaking of which, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Handbook on Dwarfed Potted Trees", after more than thirty-six printings, still has the same misprint on its contents page: "How to Report Bonsai", by Yuji Yoshimura. Drives me crazy every time I see it.

William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Well at least I know I'm not the first. :-) But yes no that the report is filed, I'm proud to say I'm almost finished repotting.

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 am

William Feldman wrote:
Cordon wrote:I've almost finished reporting all of my material

When you finish reporting them, will you repot them too? Smile

Speaking of which, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "Handbook on Dwarfed Potted Trees", after more than thirty-six printings, still has the same misprint on its contents page: "How to Report Bonsai", by Yuji Yoshimura. Drives me crazy every time I see it.

Do you have a new copy? I checked the BBG website a month or so ago and couldn't find anything by a reviesed booklet on indoor bonsai. Their other two publications seemed to have gone out of print.

"Report" and "reported" and "reporting" are my most common bonsai typos.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 am

No, My copy of "Handbook on Dwarfed Potted Trees" is from 1986, the 33rd printing.

William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Odd. I have the 28th ed., 1981, and the typo is NOT there in that edition.

I sure hope these have been pulled simply to revise and republish. They're both valuable from a historical standpoint, but useful as basic bonsai books, too. Luckily they are all over the used bookstores - www.abebooks.com.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum