Peach for bonsai?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peach for bonsai?

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:28 pm

My local nursery (non-bonsai) has a number of a new variety of peach that will thrive in my warm climate. They are beautiful with their little pink/white flowers. I'd love to bonsai one, but I don't know how it would respond.

Does anyone have experience with peach trees as bonsai? I'm going to get it anyway, but if it's not a good candidate for bonsai I'll be putting it in my front yard.

Thanks,
Ed

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Re: Peach for bonsai?

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, you might as well get two. They may not be self fertile. I had a peach bonsai for a while in Tallahassee. Leaves never reduced much and it eventually died of borers.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Any advice on root reduction and response to trunk chop Jim?

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I never had trouble working on roots. Like all Prunus, wounds bleed. Scars seemed to hang around quite a while. I'd treat it like Prunus mume.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks Jim.

I remember not too long ago you posted a link to a database of articles in bonsai magazines. Would you mind posting the link to that again? I'd like to see if I can find some information on prunus mume. What I have is very limited.

Thanks.

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Nevermind, I found it.

http://flexlists.com/view.php?list_id=8865

Thanks again.

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm still working on it, Ed. It is VERY boring to enter stuff in there. I have 30-or 40 Bonsai Todays yet to enter and 4-5 years of old Bonsai Journals to enter. But I'm sure there are articles on P. mume listed.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum