Exhibiting trees

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exhibiting trees

Post  Storm on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Just wondering about what you do with the trees when you are exhibiting them. Then im thinking about lighting and watering etc.
Its a big topic, but I mean when you have the tree at home, and lets say you want to bring 5 trees. You carry them to the car, and drive the whole way.
When its placed inside, the light will be different. Some trees may not like the transport, and are used to much colder environments or warmer. More sun and such. Then they come inside and dont take it good. You might get die-backs, brown tips. The tree wont look healthy, and you lose. Or its too hard for the tree and you lose a branch after. Security: Is it high, so bad losers don't come and do something with your tree?

I just don't know, cause I haven't been to a show. But I wouldn't take a 100 year old bonsai, to every exhibition if someone could be jealous. Or having it standing inside with no sun, for a week..

Last edited by Tony on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : split from another topic)

Storm

Back to top Go down

Re: Exhibiting trees

Post  Tony on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Bonsai are like beautiful jewelery, however precious they should be exhibited... not hidden away.

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Bonsai are tougher than newcomers to the sport think. Few shows are more than 2-3 days long. Any tree can be inside for that length of time with absolutely no damage to it.

We all check their watering needs regularly during the show -- especially in the mornings before the opening and the evenings after it closes for the day. If they need water, we take them off their pedestal (if they're not too large) and give them water. If they are huge trees, they're watered in place and we keep a close eye on the drainage and clean up any spills. When I show mame trees, I may water them 2-3 times a day (with a 20 cc eye dropper), depending on how hot and dry the show venue is.

Light is no problem for that time.

It is absolutely no different than bringing your tree into your living room to show them off every so often.

Transportation to and from is the most precarious time for them, but we take all kinds of care moving hem in and out of vehicles or trailers, and try not to swing around corners too swiftly or take the bumps too hard. I, at least, have never lost a tree. Laughing (Of course, most of mine are under a foot tall. Laughing Laughing )

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Okey, thanks for the input.
I dont really bring my trees in anymore. I try to move them as little as possible. Im just a bit afraid to kill them, and may not think about things that I should, and being over precautious over something else.
Only comparison is that I can see brown tips on the leaves if I forget to water the tree one day too many.
But, I guess its just so different when I look at most of my trees now, since they are inside my living room in a dry environment.

Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:14 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum