ELMO Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ELMO Update

Post  dorothy7774 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:20 am

Elmo update:

Summer 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010 (.. Wink ..)

Summer 2009

Summer 2009

Fall 2009

Spring 2010

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Re: ELMO Update

Post  sitarbonsai on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am

nice!
how did you obtain this beauty?

sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 am

sitarbonsai wrote:nice!
how did you obtain this beauty?

Thanks, it was collected by my dear friends JJ and Richard Turner from OLD FLORIDA BONSAI in Vero Beach FL.

-dorothy

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:20 am

Vero beach?
is that north Florida?
do you know any places closer to Fort Lauderdale?
the closest place to me is 45 minutes away
which is pretty far for me
thanks,

Justin

sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:20 am

Well tickle me Elmo Very Happy

I have been following Elmos progress for some time now and he gets better and better, just like the Energizer Bunny. It is ramifying beautifully. Well done, you go girl!

Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:48 am

Vero beach?
is that north Florida?

Vero Beach is considered South Florida, but really it's only just south of Central Florida, which puts it at the North end of South Florida (if that makes any sense).

It's part of the Treasure Coast which includes Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Port St.Lucie, Stuart, Hobe Sound, and Jupiter. There may be more in there, but I can't recall.

Ed

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Dorothy!

Very nice tree. Very good work. Congratulation. Very Happy Very Happy

Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm

EdMerc wrote:Vero beach?
is that north Florida?

Vero Beach is considered South Florida, but really it's only just south of Central Florida, which puts it at the North end of South Florida (if that makes any sense).

It's part of the Treasure Coast which includes Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Port St.Lucie, Stuart, Hobe Sound, and Jupiter. There may be more in there, but I can't recall.

Ed

yah, that makes sense
do you know of any bonsai nurseries closer to Fort Lauderdale?
thanks,

Justin

sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Dorothy.

Elmo (Tickle me!) is looking great.... but why not let the inner part tree rot down?

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Dorothy,

Great tree ! I especially like the "width of trunk-height of pot ratio". not easy to do, but really important for the visual impact!

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  cubbie on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Do you have any contact information for Old Florida Bonsai in Vero? Have been to Jim Smith's, but didn't know there was another nursery there. Thanks!

cubbie

Back to top Go down

Post  pine queen on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm

is that north Florida?

Ed

Here is a picture of South Florida Ed. I am helping chop ice.

Queen

pine queen

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

sitarbonsai wrote:Vero beach?
is that north Florida?
do you know any places closer to Fort Lauderdale?
the closest place to me is 45 minutes away
which is pretty far for me
thanks,

Justin

Justin,

there might be places closer to Lauderdale, but I doubt they can beat Jim Smith's Durastone and Turner's Old Florida Bonsai nurseries! It is absolutly worth the trip. Perhaps you can gather some folks together and you guys can share the gas, just a thought.

-dorothy

Rick Moquin wrote:Well tickle me Elmo Very Happy

I have been following Elmos progress for some time now and he gets better and better, just like the Energizer Bunny. It is ramifying beautifully. Well done, you go girl!

Thank you Rick. This Elm takes exactly one week (1) from total defoliation to breaking new buds..during the growing season (April through October). Wink

-dorothy

is that north Florida?

Ed

Thanks, Ed. Since you mentioned Jupiter, Jupiter Bonsai nursery from Alan Carver comes to mind. Great bonsai material to be found here too.

-dorothy

Pavel Slovák wrote:Hi Dorothy!

Very nice tree. Very good work. Congratulation. Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you, Pavel!

-dorothy

Tony wrote:Hi Dorothy.

Elmo (Tickle me!) is looking great.... but why not let the inner part tree rot down?

I grew up in a dentist family. I guess I am hesitant towards decay..Smile..But it might happen anyway. Thanks Tony!

-dorothy

Ed Trout wrote:Dorothy,

Great tree ! I especially like the "width of trunk-height of pot ratio". not easy to do, but really important for the visual impact!

Ed

Thank you, Ed. I am trying to expand the tree a bit. As a matter of fact I did have a lower branch on the left looking at the tree. However, it emerged more towards the front rather than from lateral so I removed it a couple of years ago.
The tree grows fast but it still takes considerate time to add age to the branches.

Stay warm,
dorothy

cubbie wrote:Do you have any contact information for Old Florida Bonsai in Vero? Have been to Jim Smith's, but didn't know there was another nursery there. Thanks!

Ckeck your pm.

-dorothy

pine queen wrote:..

Here is a picture of South Florida Ed. I am helping chop ice.

Queen

Where in Fl are you, Q?

-dorothy

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Very good progress. But too bad the last spring 2010 photo is a virtual! Evil or Very Mad

Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Beautiful!
Do you have any early development pictures of the tree. PLEASE! Smile

Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Dorothy, Elmo is a most incredible tree. The bark in particular looks extremely aged. I saw Richard Turner(Old Florida Bonsai) smaller version(same trunk base) of this elm in his personal collection that he collected. His slants to right and much shorter. I assume the trunk chop on initial styling done same time. Healing over very quickly. Jack Douthitt had an icredible elm in naturalistic style. Your tree presents many styling options given the incredible trunk. I had a thought about tree(you can take it or leave it) Presently the branch structure and canopy appears to me to be in conifer style(Many Jap. beeches look like this with straight trunk) If you look at bottom page 23 as well as page 156 of Robert Steven's Mission of Transformation book it shows giving aged appearance(Leonardo's Theory). The latter page is virtual change in Jim Smith's Nea Buxifolia. A very round canopy gives conifer appearance which works against aged trunk. I believe if you give greater movement to first primary branch(tree goes right to left direction) it will counterbalance straight trunk,look less static, and more aged. Just a thought. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:43 am

Dustin Mann wrote:Hi Dorothy, Elmo is a most incredible tree. The bark in particular looks extremely aged. I saw Richard Turner(Old Florida Bonsai) smaller version(same trunk base) of this elm in his personal collection that he collected. His slants to right and much shorter. I assume the trunk chop on initial styling done same time. Healing over very quickly. Jack Douthitt had an icredible elm in naturalistic style. Your tree presents many styling options given the incredible trunk. I had a thought about tree(you can take it or leave it) Presently the branch structure and canopy appears to me to be in conifer style(Many Jap. beeches look like this with straight trunk) If you look at bottom page 23 as well as page 156 of Robert Steven's Mission of Transformation book it shows giving aged appearance(Leonardo's Theory). The latter page is virtual change in Jim Smith's Nea Buxifolia. A very round canopy gives conifer appearance which works against aged trunk. I believe if you give greater movement to first primary branch(tree goes right to left direction) it will counterbalance straight trunk,look less static, and more aged. Just a thought. Dustin Mann

Dustin,

thanks. Yes, Richards Elm was about collected at the same time. When I aquired my tree it was already chopped. Unfortunately I don't have Roberts new book yet. I will look up the pages you are referring to as soon as I can, thank you.
I will have to correct the upper canopy area by trimming off the secondary forming apex. It is just getting too strong. I tried to stay away from the conifer look by actually rounding the canopy I guess I wasn't too successful..Wink
The first branch is very lousy right now, you are very right! It needs to grow out further and then be brought down. Honestly I think the whole top needs to be regrown, I am not kidding. What do you think?

Best,
dorothy

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 am

[quote="dorothy7774"]
sitarbonsai wrote:

Justin,

there might be places closer to Lauderdale, but I doubt they can beat Jim Smith's Durastone and Turner's Old Florida Bonsai nurseries! It is absolutly worth the trip. Perhaps you can gather some folks together and you guys can share the gas, just a thought.

-dorothy

yah, but I can't drive, I have to get my dad to take me
and anything over 15 minutes is too long for him
trust me I would of already been in Atlanta looking for bonsai, be it I could drive!

sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10 am

Dorothy, I was looking at Elmo. Man, what a trunk(ever get sick of it-my trees what it as a mate). Seriously, you have a great eye and talent to see thru tree. I took your photo of Elmo defoliated and slanted it 35-40 degrees further to left, mounted up(especially on right side because of tilt)Used same pot and pot looked even better when soil line mounted up(pot looked less like a tray). Then I extendedfirst left branch(which with 35-40 degree tilt) makes branch come down. The second right branch extended becomes more horizontal and a counter-balance branch. As such, can do more with apex to look loose. Deciduous trees are less apical dominant and primary branches can become wider and later very thick. This makes primary branches and trunk focal point(in story of the tree's survival and majestic appearance) I have a feeling what bothers you about tree's branches is that it looks both young and styled to imitate other bonsai rather than imitate a vision in nature. Let me know if rotatation works for you. You also have my email or use Meislik to me site. Have fun with it girl;put it in show now anyway. Dustin

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum