Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months

+6
Tzung Tzan
Dustin Mann
Jerry Meislik
Nik Rozman
Paul Landis
tuyhoabob
10 posters

Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty Water Jasmine progression over 6 months

Post  tuyhoabob Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 am

I do go for bigger trees, 2' and over, but I wanted a 'Welcome' tree for the front of my house. The idea was something drastic that I could spend some time working on and, in the end, have an attention getter. The pics show the work so far. I'd looked at this tree in a local Bonsai nursery a few times and finally decided that it was butt-ugly enough for my 'project' tree. The guys also cast the pot and delivered it when I was ready.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai15

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai16

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai17
[b]After a few hours of weeding, trunk scrubbing and digging down around the roots.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai18
Sooty mold removal some pruning and other work.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai19
The beginning of some die-grinder action.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai20

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai21
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty additional

Post  tuyhoabob Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 am

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai22
[b]Pot delivery day, it took 4 of us to move each piece into place.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai23

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai24
Building the wall for the pond/beer cooler.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai25

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai26
Tree in, pond filled and water lettuce added.

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Bonsai28

Last edited by tuyhoabob on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty Re: Water Jasmine progression over 6 months

Post  Paul Landis Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Wow!! Great progression!! Thanks for taking the time to post it!!
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty Re: Water Jasmine progression over 6 months

Post  Nik Rozman Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Yes, it is an interesting composition. But why fir Christ's sake did you removed the top ?! Confused The bonsai looked much better before.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 am

Bob,
Nice work. I like where you are heading.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  tuyhoabob Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:54 am

Sorry about removing the top but I went for something more dramatic. I'm still not done with the die grinder, want to hollow the trunk out more over time. The finished tree should only have 3 large pads of foliage, the largest (top one) will partially wrap around the trunk. Right now things are at a standstill, it's winter (sort of) and it is only getting about half an hour of sun a day so growth has stopped. I'd move it but can't get a forklift!!

When it begins to get more sun and growth begins again I'll get a more current picture.

Jerry---in our chat about preservation I think the weather here is against about everything we thought about. I can't get my hands on any lime sulphur anywhere. What I will probably do is what's most common here. As I get the grinding to the point I want it I'll use some matte polyurethane and just paint the dead wood, let it soak in good over a few coats and that's it.

I may get it to last for about 10 years before it starts to crumble but it should look pretty good for most of that time.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 am

I think you have the start of atree that has wonderful round nebari and trunk taper. The base looks very balanced with root spread in many directions;the deadwood looks very natural and not too much "artsie carving". I think you did the right thing by shortening(taking top off); Initial height was confusing-like tree trying to tell 2 different stories- one of power/majesty, then switching appex to delicate survival. I believe with care(good soil) this tree will continue to get better. Water Jasmine has great dense foliage(amazing fragence). With that powerful trunk I see potential for giving movement in branches(asymetrical as opposed to balanced static branching to off set vertical trunk. Just a thought. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  tuyhoabob Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:22 am

That's the way it's going, rugged and asymetrical. Right now I'm trying to borrow a small chain saw to finish the carving because the bits I can find for my die-grinder are too small. Soil...did you say SOIL? Here we have one thing...sand...there is no soil, no Pine bark, no Turface, no nuttin...lots of sand. What I have done is found 1/8th inch Basalt rock (used for paving) and mixed it with the sand to make 'soil'. The top dressing is ground coconut shell to hold the sand in place when I water.

For those of you into numbers:
Tree was 2.5 Million VND when I asked. I sent my buddy Tuan and his price was 1 million (without the white guy tax).
Cost 70.000 ($5) for the guy with the bagette to pedal it 5 km to my house in 100 degree heat.

The pot and stand are hand cast, 5' X 3' and weigh about half a ton (ya really).
Cost: 1 million VND or $60
Delivery was 50.000.
Chain and locks: one for the tree one for the pot--priceless!

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty Bonsai heaven

Post  Tzung Tzan Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 am

Bob, sounds like bonsai heaven. Everythings so cheap there. I wish it was like that in Australia.
Tzung Tzan
Tzung Tzan

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 am

wonder if theres any update so far ? do keep us updated =)
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  tuyhoabob Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:32 am

It went through our 'winter' pretty well, just stopped growing completly for about 3 months but has begun to get excited again in the past few weeks. I'll do an update on the carving/wiring and some other things in the near future. I've also been out of town a lot and doing some 'collecting' of the female variety...got married the beginning of the month.

Now that it's awake and growing again I'm going back to work on it.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 am

nice man, take care and have fun =D
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Congrats on the wedding! I wish you the best of luck and warmest wishes of happiness. cheers
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Water Jasmine progression over 6 months Empty 4 years later

Post  Wander Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:40 am

Is this guy still alive? How's it doing? I can't tell you how excited I am to see how 4 years has progressed this awesome tree.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:40 pm

that is pretty rad and now that this thread has been revived, i too would be curious to see it now...

in my eye, the trunk itself serves as "the mountain" from which the individual trees grow...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down