Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP

+3
JimLewis
Kev Bailey
sitarbonsai
7 posters

Go down

Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP Empty Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP

Post  sitarbonsai Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey, I'm new here and have a urgent question
I have purchased a cherry brush bonsai
and it doesn't seem to be doing well
at first I put inside with partial shade and a grow light and kept soil moist
then put in room with more sun and now outside
I've read plenty on bonsai and have had a bit of experience caring for them
but, I'm confused I've sprayed with incestiside and checked for pest, kept moist, and have been giving it good light
but, many leaves have fallen off and the tree looks bare
even though I live in Florida it has been quite cold so I thought maybe it doesn't tolerate cold, but at my local Home Depot I have seen cheery brush shrubs and trees and they look OK
so if anybody can give advice I would deeply appreciate it
thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP Empty Re: Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Hmm, do you mean

Brush Cherry - Syzygium paniculatum or BRUSH CHERRY - Eugenia myrtifolia or Brush Cherry - Syzygium australe?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Eugenia
sorry I forgot to include
are you informed on the species and or have any advice?
be free to ask questions to better identify a problem
thanks,
justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Maybe too much water. You say you have kept the soil "moist." Generally, you want to let the soil go pretty dry before you water again. Overwaterng is a major issue with bonsai -- especially in winter.

Don't spray any tree -- even with an "incesticide" (GREAT typo/Freudian slip!clown ) -- unless you SEE a pest to spray. I seem to recall reading that these trees might be sensitive to some sprays.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:53 am

thanks i read that it likes moist soil, but in winter less, but I don't see how i could of "over watered" it, I let the soil go dry to the point where i scratch the surface of soil and it is dry then i give a good watering
i came to the conclusion that it kinda had a shock being replanted at the nursery in winter and wasn't getting a enough sun in my partial-shaded north-east room
and i leveled off the soil with some regular organic gardening soil and upon inspection saw a couple ants and didn't want anything to spread and I read that it's good to spray with a non harmful insecticide periodically
i thinks its always best to leave the tree be in sunlight and fresh air when it looks a bit unhappy
and today i saw a couple of new red leaves and some green upon inspection
so I pretty sure it'll be alright
thanks,
justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Her's some pic's of the tree and it's foliage:
Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP Getatt17

and a close up of the leaves:
Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP Getatt19

feel free to make any diagnose or give any tips!
thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Did those brown leaves happen before or after you sprayed?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:07 am

they started to deteriorate before
and I didn't spray the leaves directly, just the soil
thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Quote "I let the soil go dry to the point where i scratch the surface of soil and it is dry then i give a good watering"
Its been stated, that scratching the surface isn't enough, to see if the pot/tree needs watering. A method that is common.... is to insert a chopstick into the pot and pull it out periodically to see if the deeper layers are dry or are still wet.
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Cherry Brush Bonsai HELP Empty Brush Cherry

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:

Brush Cherry - Syzygium paniculatum or BRUSH CHERRY - Eugenia myrtifolia or Brush Cherry - Syzygium australe?
Syzygium paniculatum is what Americans call Australian brush cherry. The Australians call it Lilly pilly. Eugenia myrtifolia is an obsolete name for the same plant. Syzygium australe is another species, which the Australians call brush cherry. If he bought it in an ordinary nursery in Florida, it is Syzygium paniculatum.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:31 am

gman wrote:Quote "I let the soil go dry to the point where i scratch the surface of soil and it is dry then i give a good watering"
Its been stated, that scratching the surface isn't enough, to see if the pot/tree needs watering. A method that is common.... is to insert a chopstick into the pot and pull it out periodically to see if the deeper layers are dry or are still wet.
G

Thanks for the advice
I'll be sure to try that next time before I give my bonsai a good watering
Thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 am

bonsaisr wrote:
Kev Bailey wrote:

Syzygium paniculatum is what Americans call Australian brush cherry. The Australians call it Lilly pilly. Eugenia myrtifolia is an obsolete name for the same plant. Syzygium australe is another species, which the Australians call brush cherry. If he bought it in an ordinary nursery in Florida, it is Syzygium paniculatum.
Iris

They are all called Lilly Pilly here. Syzigium is its correct name and Australe is the variety. Hello Justin;the problem here is that you let it dry out. Mine are in full sun all the time and always wet. Most of the time when leaves dry and fall, it will put out new ones. In the past, before i realised you can't afford to miss a watering. The leaves would dry and fall. I would just leave them out in the sun and kept on watering. With in a week or so new growth will sprout. If not then chances are its dead. They also love fert pellets of various animal manure. I hope this is of help to you. cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm

anttal63 wrote: Hello Justin;the problem here is that you let it dry out. Mine are in full sun all the time and always wet. Most of the time when leaves dry and fall, it will put out new ones. In the past, before i realised you can't afford to miss a watering. The leaves would dry and fall. I would just leave them out in the sun and kept on watering. With in a week or so new growth will sprout. If not then chances are its dead. They also love fert pellets of various animal manure. I hope this is of help to you. cheers

Hey, thanks for the advice
do you still water as much in the winter?
I actually thought, and was told by Jim, that I probably watered to much (at least for winter)
Thanks,

Justin
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Different enviroment's, have different needs. In shade you can easily over water. In full sun with good free draining soil, it's hard to over water in my world. The trick with all potted plants is the timing. To allow it to dry is one thing, How long it stays dry is another (usually a big problem). So if i cant get to them in time later, better to water now. Becareful to not be fooled by morning dew wetting the top of the soil either. Chances are it didnt get any further down. Strong wind can be more drying than a hot sun in winter, take care of this. In my world i water every day. It has to be a very serious rain for me to skip a watering. Now in summer 30.c +, twice a day and 40.c+, three times a day. cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 am

I have a few questions..

What is the soil content? What is it made from?

Was the tree out side or in when you bought it?

How long have you had it?

Where is it located in your house? ( by a window, heater, animal, drafty vent)

Also.. it might just be acclimating. Keep a routine. If you try a bunch of different things all at once you will not know exactly what the problem is.

-Joe
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down