Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting tools

+12
Henrik Stubelius
JimLewis
jon hultgren
Kev Bailey
Seth Ellwood
NeilDellinger
Smithy
John Quinn
Jay Gaydosh
leonardo
gman
luc tran
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Collecting tools Empty Collecting tools

Post  luc tran Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:34 am

Hi,

I was just wondering if any one can tell me the tools required for collecting trees. I know you need a shovel but what kind inorder to cut through the roots. Maybe a method of collecting would be very useful as well.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Collecting tools Empty Collecting tools

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:02 am

Hi Luc, no need for a shovel.What you need is a spade, as we call it in the UK. A lot depends on where your digging, the more rugged the terrain, the narrower the digging tool should be. If its mountainous, and mainly scree, then picks and crow bars are adequate.For soils, a narrow steel shafted spade, mattock and loppers. I always find a handsaw is usefull as well.

Back to top Go down

Collecting tools Empty Re: Collecting tools

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:39 am

Hi Luc, you cannot go far wrong with one of these: Root hook <<< Click This

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Luc,
Like the others, my main tool is what is called a speed spade which is used by tree planters, its very rugged and lasts a long time...............here is a link http://www.bushpro.ca/index.php?page_id=1002. For cutting the larger roots I like the 8" folding saw (mine is a Sandvik).
Happy collecting.
Cheers Gman
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Before you use any of the above tools you need to develop calluses.

Ciao......Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Skip the calluses and buy a good pair of work gloves!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:51 pm

A straight edged spade can also be sharpened using a grinding wheel, making it somewaht easier to cut through roots.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:53 pm

leonardo wrote:Before you use any of the above tools you need to develop calluses.

Ciao......Leonardo
Also be aware that along with the calluses.............you may also develop rheumatoid arthritis like many of us .................after years of "hiking them there hills".
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:Skip the calluses and buy a good pair of work gloves!

A real bonsai collector does not ware gloves. Collecting a tree is an art in itself and requires painstaking patience. One has to 'feel' the effort going on and the slightest movement felt as the tree breaks free is like no other. Gloves...I can't imagine nor do I want to.

Ciao......Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:04 am

Thank you so much for the reply. Happy hunting to all this winter.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 am

Leonardo... are you having a laugh!

Clearly you have never collected Hawthorns, Blackthorns (note the 'Thorns' bit) I wear gloves when collecting ALL THE TIME and recommend that others do too.

I value my hands and urge members to wear gloves, not just for protection but for health reasons, animals sh*t near trees, get a cut from a thorn... get infection... collecting for that season would be finished!

Being sensitive to movement of the tree when removing cannot be done whilst wearing gloves... get real... All successful yamadori collectors I know wear gloves

Don't mislead members!

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:38 am

I work all day digging cutting pruning and i wear gloves all the time. Its a very romantic idea not to wear gloves but every time i don't wear gloves i end up with damaged hands. I use my hands for scraping digging pulling which isn't good without gloves.. Even grabbing some leaves you end up with a big thorn in you.
Tony is right about the trees like hawthorn and blackthorn ,they are a pain in the hand.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Here in Oklahoma you need a maddock aka pick.
1) Maddock, 2) Loppers, 3) cordless sawsall, 4) water sprayer, and 5) sheet of foam rubber interlocking (flooring)http://www.bargain-outlets.com/buyers/images/products/Interlocking%20Foam%20Mats.jpg

Oh yeah....and GLOVES...most of the rock I dig in is chert rock which breaks and has a knife edge! There are also tarantula burrows. Really.

The foam pad is for my knees and hind quarters.

Guess since I use gloves and something soft for my delicate knees and rear I must not be doing it right Twisted Evil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Yep I agree ,knee pads are also a must. I love my kneepads . I've become that soft now i even want them on when I'm grovelling to the wife. Smile
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:33 pm

When I take people on collecting expeditions I let them pack all they want to start the trip. That is part of the fun. When I get to the sacred hunting grounds I review our goals and equipment. If someone brought knee pads they would stay in the car for half the day. All stifling camo clothing gets dropped. We are not there to shoot bear or fight a war. All gloves...on the pile. Cell phones...on the pile. Tagging ribbon....on the pile. Only thing allowed is a bar, a saw, a sack with pre-wet spagnum moss, a pair of good quality clippers and a compass. Dress, long pants, long sleeve cotton shirt (not bright red), head band and hat, boots, water and first aid kit.
Foam pad is a ticket back to the hotel....good heavens!

Ciao.....Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:44 pm

As usual Leonardo, you feel the need to go against the flow Mad Your opinions will count for nothing, if you choose to carry onn like this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:00 pm

might be the first person hit with the ban stick??

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Leonard.. lets face it you are a first class Arse... no true bonsai artists would adopt your approach. You and YOUR ATTITUDE are NOT WELCOME on IBC. wanna ban... you got it from me Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Are we reading into it something that isn't there? Does Leonardo have his tongue firmly planted in his cheek or taking the Mickey out of us, just to get the reaction you've given him.
Lets face it we all have different collecting techniques, some of it is based on us as individuals (trial and error, based on our own local conditions etc) and some of it might be based on our cultural differences.
Reading the first part of his last email I did feel some devilish? antics being played but I also saw that he was trying for a more fundamental experience for those who came with him.
Just some thoughts from across the pond
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Gman, your kindly words are fitting at this festive time however...I have realised that Leonardo is perhaps a troubled individual who is happy hiding behind a virtual persona, and needs to release the resentment at not being able to create good bonsai by posting spurious treads and only gaining satisfaction by creating chaos in the online. However THIS forum is moderated and we hold no truck with Bonsai Eunuch’s

Merry Christmas

Tony santa

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:46 pm

I have two friends to this day talk about a trip we took and the rules I laid down. I was the guide doing them a favor taking them to a secret collection spot. If they were to collect naked they would have in a heart beat. It was a total experience. When you are tired, body beat up, hands bleeding, near heat exhaustion and you find the tree of a life time you tend to keep that image the rest of your life.
Now if this is blasphemy, ban me now. Sorry you can't appreciate the point.

Ciao....Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I suppose being banned might appear to be a bit harsh but he has been warned in the past. Several topics have been locked and his comments have been either confusing or misleading. There Is a huge amount to learn, when it comes to our little trees. People giving out ill informed or incorrect advice, should not be posting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Leonardo... for all you pontificating I have yet to see a tree of any worth from you

Tickle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:21 pm

leonardo wrote:I have two friends to this day talk about a trip we took and the rules I laid down. I was the guide doing them a favor taking them to a secret collection spot. If they were to collect naked they would have in a heart beat. It was a total experience. When you are tired, body beat up, hands bleeding, near heat exhaustion and you find the tree of a life time you tend to keep that image the rest of your life.
Now if this is blasphemy, ban me now. Sorry you can't appreciate the point.

Ciao....Leonardo

My favorite trees are the ones I have collected, trained and exhibited. Whether locally, or in the Scottish highlands( which earned me official, "mountain bog warrior" status). The memories are the people I was with and the scenery Very Happy Not the physical damage.I dont think dressing like Rambo and enduring physical pain would have added to the experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:31 pm

OK folks, breathe easy, Leonardo is banned. He wasn't the first Trolll and, no doubt there will be others. He certainly put more effort into his timewasting posts than most trolls.

Let's get back to bonsai. santa
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next