Possible Move to Texas - Need your thoughts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Move to Texas - Need your thoughts

Post  Jay R on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Greetings to All and May your Holidays be wonderful and full of Good Health!

I am one of those members who have come on board after the loss of BonsaiTalk. I have been reading and trying not to put my ‘two cents’ in until I have something worthy of a post. I now need the advice and thoughts of those knowledgeable with relocation.

As information to those who are not familiar with me or my trees, I have been enjoying Bonsai for over ten years. My love for Bonsai is far greater than my ability. I am retired and presently live in northern Vermont, zone 3b (fall through spring). I moved to Vermont 5 years ago and had problems with many of my trees adjusting to the change to zone 3b from zone 5b.

My family is discussing a major move. If it occurs I will be moving to the Austin/Georgetown area of Texas. This move is still uncertain but has gained steam lately. If this move does occur I would be in Texas from approximately mid October through mid to late May. During the summer months I would still live in the northern Adirondacks’ in New York (zone 3b but only for the summer).

After this long and winded introduction, my question is:
From the list below, which trees should I find new homes for before I make this move, Again wintering in Texas (zone 8ish) and then summering in New York (zone 4ish)?

Maples….. Trident, Japanese, and Amur
Hornbeam…. Korean
White Cedar…. Thuja Occidentalis
Apple…. Crab and Malus Indian Magic
Larch
Birch…. White
Boxwood… Buxus Microphylla Koreana Nana
Blueberry….. Vaccinium Tophat (Blue Betty)
Spruce

Thanks for your thoughts
Jay in limbo

Jay R

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible Move to Texas - Need your thoughts

Post  EdMerc on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Jay, I'm sorry to say it, but if you are moving back and forth every summer then you have to find new homes for all of them. No tree will survive that kind of continual climate change.

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Texas weather can be very harsh to people and trees that are not adapted to extremes....Best bet would be to have 2 collections....One there and one here.
Austin has a fantastic Bonsai Society and you will soon adjust to the laid back way we see things...
Irene

Many Bonsai nurseries in both locations can maintain your trees while you are in the other location...

Last edited by irene_b on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding)

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm

I think Ed's probably right.

That said, the spruce will NOT survive in TX zone 8. In addition to the temperature factor in the zone system, you have to take into account the humidity factor.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay R on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Ed, Irene and Jim,
Thank you for your thoughts. I wish I could hear something different, but the truth is often not what we want to hear.

IF this move occurs, it will probably be after next summer. I had hoped to scale back my collection to 10 to 12 max trees. I had hoped to be able to keep a few of the present and obtain others that could withstand the travel.

I believe I would be departing Texas in the late spring and arriving in upstate NY after the last frost. Leaving NY before the first frost and returning to Texas. I could bury the Larch at the end of the summer and hope they would survive. I realize that some of the others would need to find new homes (spruce Cedar etc), but hoped that the Maples, apples, hornbeams and Boxwood could make it. Two collections is not possible, but an excellent suggestion.

Jay

Jay R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum