Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAT COAST OAK

4 posters

Go down

FAT COAST OAK Empty FAT COAST OAK

Post  mike page Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:38 pm

I acquired this oak 20-25 years ago in a trade, It's one of the trees that gave me the idea for the "sumo style". The height from pot rim is 24 inches. Circumference at trunk base is 30 inches. Today's project was a severe trimming to prepare for repotting in February. I'll post the before picture here.

FAT COAST OAK Fatoak11
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

FAT COAST OAK Empty Re: FAT COAST OAK

Post  mike page Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Here is the image after trimming and chopping.

FAT COAST OAK Fatoak12
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Here's a closeup of the trunk. When I first started working on the tree I found a spot of rot on the trunk. By the time all the rot was removed, the trumk was hollow and had 3 openings. This tree has to be limesulfered on the inside every year. Oak is hard wood but rots easily.

FAT COAST OAK Fatoak13
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Mike . . . Have you considered filling the hollow center with cement so moisture won't get inside any more?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Jim, I see this as part of the character of the tree. I keep the interior deadwood well preserved and there's never been a reoccurance of rot.
When I exhibit the tree, people are fascinated by the hollow trunk.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 am

JimLewis wrote:Mike . . . Have you considered filling the hollow center with cement so moisture won't get inside any more?

How is cement going to stop water getting in? Cement is porous and totally unnecessary, as long as the water has an exit. By treating the inside with teak oil, or some other water repellent, there should'nt be a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 am

Hi Mike: Very nice Oak. I take it you are referring to sumo style were ht. of tree and trunk are about equal in size. In photo it says tree is 24" in ht. and trunk is 30" ? Trunk does not even look more than half the ht. of tree in photo. It looks like proportion of normal upright bonsai tree, as opposed to huge trunk nebari Trident,fig,olive,illex with quick taper. Maybe I am off or missing point. I don't see visual distance distortion by scale/proportion reduction. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:07 am

Dustin, the trunk measures 30 inches circumference. Maybe you were thinking diameter.
The link is to an article about sumo shohin where the same problem was mentioned.

Mike

http://www.absbonsai.org/articles/sumo.html
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 am

What a marvelous trunk my friend...

That trunk is stunning, to say the least.

I'd like to add Mike, that I like your Oak better after the trim...I have a thing about majestic ancient looking bonsai that look like they just came from the hair dresser. Just my personal feeling...opinion...whatever.

Does this "stout one" have adequate drainage as Will suggested?

By the way Mike...will you be at Santa Nella in February?

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Pat
Thanks for your comments. I agree with your "hair dresser" observation concerning so many bonsai. There's a recent post on this forum of a juniper with a deadwood trunk that has the mountain tree appearance, but the foliage is, as you say, from the hairdresser. It is a contradiction. I'm tempted to take the image to Photoshop and make the foliage match the trunk. I'm sure that would insult someone.
Sorry, but I won't see you at Santa Nella.
BTW, the oak drainage is very good. Never been a problem.

Mike

Added later.

Pat, I photoshopped the juniper to make it "less pretty". I hope I haven't insulted anyone.
Not my intent to critisize. Just offer a different viewpoint.

FAT COAST OAK Zzzpho10
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down