Home Depot Tsuga c.

Go down

Home Depot Tsuga c.

Post  MrFancyPlants on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm

I really enjoy working with this species even if I don’t have it figured out quite yet. It is rare that I get this excited about big box store material, but I had to have it when I saw the trunk. I figured the branches would fall into place. First photo was this winter and second when I bought it last March. Despite the reduction over the last year, I am pretty confident about hustling it into an Anderson flat this spring and seeing what is hiding in the nursery pot. I figure that if the one I collected from the wild survived me digging it out of the ground and sawing through the majority of roots, this one might not even sulk a season.

MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Re: Home Depot Tsuga c.

Post  BrendanR on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm

If the roots are awful the tree is never going to be good bonsai. So I agree with your decision to have a long hard look at the roots and maybe give them a preparatory trim and a repot.

But maybe think about doing it over 2 - 3 seasons if you do like what you see? Don't rush it just because you can. The roots that you can cut back now but instead leave intact will help deliver good top growth.

And the factis the top of the tree will need some serious work. The foliage is way too far from the trunk, and the branches are all over the place. You will be doing some serious trimming and refining. You will need plenty of roots for that exercise.

BTW, I have never believed we need to "balance" the amount of roots trimmed with the amount of leaves trimmed.

If you can leave it then leave it. The tree will sort itself out. Die back is natural if you leave a root-branch in place and the tree can do without it. The surlpus root-branch will just naturally die. Equally, if it needs it and you cut it off you are not helping...

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Good points Brendan; and I’ll take them under consideration. I guess what i’ll do is cut down the pot and bring down the surface soil until I start to see the surface roots. This will give me an idea of how much will need to come off the bottom to get it to fit in the flat. It will also give me an idea of what angle I’ll want to have it pottted at. Then I can saw off the bottom of the root mass at an angle to get it sitting at just the right angle. I’ve heard some say sawing is risky, but I think it will set me in the direction of shallower, wider roots, with minimal disturbance to core of the roots. Then, depending on what I find (fingers crossed for no clay core). I can do a half bare root, or be more or less aggressive. I think getting some aggregate pumice, DME and lava, with a generous portion of spaghnum, around the roots will get growth pumping in no time.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:03 am

Remember that the roots at the top might not be the best ones, or the ones you want to keep. You may want to wait till you remove it entirely from the pot to see all the roots, and then decide. There could possibly be a good nebari zone below the highest roots, in a nursery pot like this.

It looks like the trunk has great movement and good taper. ThumbsUp

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 am

I’ll keep that in mind too. Of course even the best laid plans have a habit of going out the window for me once I find myself in the mess of what I am working with.  That reminds me of my other Tsuga that at collection I could have swore there was a spoked wagon wheel of roots underneath the duft that I preserved in the hopes of saving some fine feeders. The roots took off so strongly, that after repotting a few years ago,  I’m still not sure what is buried under there.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:34 pm

BrendanR wrote:... ...BTW, I have never believed we need to "balance" the amount of roots trimmed with the amount of leaves trimmed.  
If you can leave it then leave it.  The tree will sort itself out.  Die back is natural if you leave a root-branch in place and the tree can do without it.  The surlpus root-branch will just naturally die.   Equally, if it needs it and you cut it off you are not helping...
This is exactly what I have come to believe. The tree "knows" what it can support. It will feed what it has the ability to feed and the rest will die.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum