Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USA source for hard-to-find Japanese flowering apricot cultivars?

2 posters

Go down

USA source for hard-to-find Japanese flowering apricot cultivars? Empty USA source for hard-to-find Japanese flowering apricot cultivars?

Post  William Feldman Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Does anyone know of any sources in the USA for the following Japanese flowering apricot cultivars?  

Prunus mume 'Sabashi-ko'
Prunus mume 'Usuiro-chirimen' (alternate spelling 'Ushiro-chirimen')
Prunus mume 'Tohji-bai' (alternate spelling 'Toji-bai')

Google does not provide any current sources.  Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina had them all, but they don't any longer.  I'm also keeping an eye on the selection at Evergreen Gardenworks.
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

USA source for hard-to-find Japanese flowering apricot cultivars? Empty Re: USA source for hard-to-find Japanese flowering apricot cultivars?

Post  R3x Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am

This got me interested (although I am so far away there is no chance to get any of these). However looking for one of the varieties I found this post: https://maryland-umd-abg.smugmug.com/Photos-and-Videos-Taken-By-the/2017-Folder/Flowering-Apricots If you scroll down and further, there are many named varieties (before that are unlabeled varieties). So I guess this could be a fantastic source of material if they let you take grafts and you have understock and know how to graft ;-) And it is even close to you...

R3x

Back to top Go down