New to Bonsai

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to Bonsai

Post  Luisvillalobos on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi, my name is Luis, i live in mesa, arizona.
I am really interested in beggining a bonsai, but i have no real knowledge of
it at the moment. But i wanted to see if you guys could at least give me a
head start, for example, tell me what trees are suitable for this part of the
country (hottest temp: 115F, lowest: 40F), wether to choose ceramic or
plastic pots, and what kind of substrate and wire is best.
Obviously i am going to check out a couple books and look at sites in
the internet, but its always nice to have someone whit knowledge give you
live advice, and be able to interact and respond, instead of just reading
the book to yourself.
Im really looking forward to your comments and to hopefully soon start
a my project.
Thanks.

Luisvillalobos

Back to top Go down

Re: New to Bonsai

Post  David Brunner on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello Luis - Welcome to IBC!

Bonsai in the desert can be a challenge but it can be done and is very rewarding. Because much of the advice you will find in books will be directed to those in cooler, moister climates, I suggest you start with contacting your local bonsai club. You are fortunate to have a great one in your area, the Phoenix Bonsai Society. They mantain an excellent website, one portion of which is a list of species suitable for bonsai culture in the Sonoran Desert. Here is a link to it: http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PPlants.html

Wishing all the best in your new bonsai ventures,
David Brunner

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Two well-known bonsai species to start with: Jabily, Operculicarya decaryi; and elephant bush, Portulacaria afra. Chinese banyan, Ficus microcarpa, might also be a good choice, as it is featured in Australia, and sold in Wal-Mart. I was going to send you to the Great Petaluma Desert, http://www.gpdesert.com/, but it is closed until further notice. Sad There may be nurseries in your area that sell other suitable plants. If you can get hold of a baobab, they are very popular for bonsai in South Africa.
Plastic pots are used for training, but when you are ready to put a bonsai on display, it goes in a ceramic pot. Also, ceramic is a better insulator.
Personally, I would recommend aluminum wire for a beginner. Most experienced bonsai artists use copper wire. The Phoenix people are the best ones to advise you on soil.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Luisvillalobos on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Well thank you for the welcome and your nice comments, I am currently looking at the
list from phoenix bonsai and there is alot of really cool plants i can start whit.
I was thinking of doing a Bougainvillea to begin whit, they seem rather lovely
and are one of the easier to care in the list, and its greatly available. Any thoughts on this?

And i would be reading the books to just get a sense of what this is all about, to
get the equipment i need, and to read on techniques and styles.

Thanks again to both of you, ill be sure to keep searching.

And anyone wiht more comments is more than welcome to come forward Very Happy

It would be nice if i could get a list of the basic equipment i would need, such as
pots and wires. (although i am considering the plastic pot and aluminum wire 'bonsaisr' recommended)

Luisvillalobos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum