Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another blackthorn

+7
Matrix
MartinSweeney
Jay Gaydosh
Lee Kennedy
sulrich
Kev Bailey
fiona
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Another blackthorn Empty Another blackthorn

Post  fiona Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Didn't want to hijack either Lee's Lizard or Jerry's Dragon threads so here's a new diversion.

I got this from Lee at the tail end of the summer in part exchange for some pics of the Queen's head and for lugging the Big Red monster up from Steve Tolley's house. I completely forgot to take it to Burrs last month in my haste to get there and was thus denied expert input regarding design suggestions.

Until now.

I have in my head some sort of semi-cascade coming out a rock pot. But any suggestions welcome. Please.

Another blackthorn Snake10

Another blackthorn Snake_10

height is about 22". There are not too many roots and as a result at present the tree is not particularly well anchored. That presumably has to be borne in mind in thinking about its development. If I am going cascade, is one option to lay it on its side and establish roots along one side of the trunk? Or air layer? If so, when is the optimum time?

Last edited by fiona on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Another blackthorn Empty Re: Another blackthorn

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:55 pm

You've got to get it established and growing vigorously before you can risk air layering. Secure it to the pot for winter, give it a sprinkle of bone meal and then feed heavily next year. I'd leave layering to the following spring (2011).
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Excellent movement in the top 2/3rds. I'm with Kev on this one. Can I suggest a small wooden box for it. You can then stabilize properly, with wires from the box going around the trunk and then back to the box.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Any chance of photos from different angles? I'd like to have a go at a virtual.

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi,

What a great movement on this one! Couldn't it be a fine literati, perhaps a bit slanted? I'm not sure about how easy air layering is with these - it's funny, I have one that also has quite bad roots, I tried to scratch parts of the buried trunk and wrap it with sphagnum to see if that will achieve anything. I'll see how it went when repotting next spring ...

Heck, I guess I'll just show a picture of mine (even though it's still in a very early stage of development and the current pot is way too large due to the root problems mentioned), to indicate the general direction of 'slanted literati' - only yours would be a lot better since it has a much more interesting trunk ;-)

Another blackthorn Dscf3811

Best regards,
Stefan

Last edited by sulrich on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 pm

That would be very good of you, Will - many thanks in advance. I'll take some pics tomorrow as these were hurriedly snapped between a variety of trips today. Funnily enough, in the conversation I had with its original owner off air, Lee said he had always seen "fronts" from just about every angle, so it might be a challenge to make a final decision. But then again, we could always resurrect that ole chestnut about viewing fronts / photo fronts / all round viewing etc etc.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Sloes are really comming out of the woodwork now! Nice one Sulrich, goes well in that pot too . I'd be moving the tree to left of middle though and straighten up by 10 degrees for better balance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 pm

My wife uses Photoshop all the time and makes it look so easy. She's promised to teach me, so I'll have a go when you've posted pics. Maybe even 2or 3 different ones.

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi,

will baddeley wrote:I'd be moving the tree to left of middle though and straighten up by 10 degrees for better balance.
Yup, it just wasn't possible so far since all the roots are on the left side only, growing on the upper side of a piece of trunk that's buried beneath the surface there ;-) It must have been a root sucker (which would probably indicate that layering ought to be possible with these ...).
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Fiona. Was your Sloe collected in Wales or the North of England, and No Jay.... that does'nt mean Scotland Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi Will. It's another from the Lee K secret stash on the legendary "hill" which I think is somewhere between Junction 28 of the M6 and Brigadoon. If he's reading this, he might divulge the secret, but he may have to kill us afterwards.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm

He's doing a brilliant job, as these"old fella's" are notoriously difficult to transplant.I have a beautiful dead example in my garden.Kindly given to me by someone with his bonsai goggles on but lacking the know how to lift such creatures. Its an art in itself.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi Will (and anyone else who fancies a shot at Photoshopping). Here are some pics of the Blackie from all round.

Another blackthorn Hawtho10

Another blackthorn Hawtho11

Another blackthorn Hawtho12

Another blackthorn Hawtho13
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Here are the rest. I can now see what Lee meant when he told me that he could see a possible front in every side of this tree.

Another blackthorn Hawtho14

Another blackthorn Hawtho15

Another blackthorn Hawtho16

Another blackthorn Hawtho17
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Should also say that the only growth last summer was at the points highlighted.

Another blackthorn Hawtho18

Hey, that looks like one of the mannikins we used to use in First Aid classes. I'm obviously not as good at Photoshop as Will's missus.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:47 pm

The other thing I should say is that I fully intend to do as Kev and Will suggest and let it grow on for a year before attempting styling.

But the question is: as I believe a change of angle is inevitable, should I not try to get it established in its training box in pretty much the planned eventual planting angle? My reasoning for this is that I can then do some scoring on the underside or whatever to develop additional roots where they are needed rather than at random.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 pm

At work at the mo, Not allowed access to pictures through the system. Be home by 9, I'll set too with my fumbling keyboard sausages then!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 pm

will baddeley wrote:He's doing a brilliant job, as these"old fella's" are notoriously difficult to transplant.I have a beautiful dead example in my garden.Kindly given to me by someone with his bonsai goggles on but lacking the know how to lift such creatures. Its an art in itself.
Cheers Will,it's a hard species to lift but i normally get a 90% survival rate with these
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 pm

fiona wrote:Here are the rest. I can now see what Lee meant when he told me that he could see a possible front in every side of this tree.

It's a great tree fiona,you were lucky i was laid off work back then,it would be a keeper now.I know what i wanted to do to it,in fact i even had the pot and the table type sorted in concept,but i think it would be unfair of me to chirp in yet,having owned it and studied it for 2 yrs.Next year will be the 3rd year from the hill,it will go bananna's keep us posted
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm

will baddeley wrote:Fiona. Was your Sloe collected in Wales or the North of England, and No Jay.... that does'nt mean Scotland Smile

But, Scotland, is in fact, north of England, maybe not "The" North of England, but if you are in England and drive north (and adjust to stay on land), you will run into Scotland.

I am curious to know why those in the Region called "North of England" chose that name. A yank would have called it Northern England. Curious!

BTW Fiona: Nice little tree not sure what I would do with the straight trunk starting off, but the rest has some great movement.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote: I am curious to know why those in the Region called "North of England" chose that name. A yank would have called it Northern England. Curious!
Ah yes, Jay, but remember this is a country where "Downs" are actually hills and involve a helluva lot of "up" and where there is actually only one "lake" in the Lake District. And where, in Black Pudding, they may have the only foodstuff to rival haggis in the disgusting stakes in terms of both taste and ingredients. But as there are a lot of them on the forum we have to humour them. After all, they are all black belts in Ecky-Thump.

And now, the bonsai bit:

Jay Gaydosh wrote: BTW Fiona: Nice little tree not sure what I would do with the straight trunk starting off, but the rest has some great movement.
kinda is the basis of my question really. Air layering or otherwise shortening that part is, I believe, essential whatever ultimate style/design it takes on. But as already advised, later rather than sooner.

Last edited by fiona on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a hyphen, dash it!)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Fiona. I think I'm ready to reveal my first virtual. I went with the fourth photo. I liked the movement and the reasonably compact image. I also went with an airlayer to eliminate the first straight section of trunk. You said that only the top section put on any growth? My wife Bev, gave me a great deal of help with this image and I hope you like. Drum roll please...........

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 pm

The picture I choseAnother blackthorn Hawtho10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 pm

What do you think?Another blackthorn Hawtho11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 pm

Someone else will have to sort out a pot as I was loosing the will to live. Separate rooms tonight me thinks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next