Candelabra Larch

Go down

Candelabra Larch

Post  Thomas Urban on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to post my last little monster that I wired a few weeks ago.

Things I am aware of that it definitely still needs:

1. A re-pot to find out what the root situation is and also for obvious aesthetic reasons.
2. I need to make the jins more realistic and hit them when a hobby tool.
3. Filling out the strange areas with additional foliage to make it more believable.

I had a lot of fun with this one and wanted to make use of all the unconventional branches and shape this tree already had.  

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Re: Candelabra Larch

Post  M. Frary on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Doesn't look like a candleabra to me.
Looks like a mess. You got reverse taper and too many branches coming out of one area.
I would think about cutting it off to the lowest branch and grow it out from there.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Frary,

Thanks for the feedback! Sure it's strange now but it should make more sense in a few years ; )

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I was a little harsh.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

No worries, it was your natural response and your opinion, which is useful feedback. I would rather have that reaction than some artificial back patting.

The tree came with a lot of ugly but interesting branches with which I wanted to experiment. I believe it will be an interesting design with more ramification in a few years. Pot will help Smile
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 am

Thomas Urban wrote:No worries, it was your natural response and your opinion, which is useful feedback. I would rather have that reaction than some artificial back patting.

The tree came with a lot of ugly but interesting branches with which I wanted to experiment. I believe it will be an interesting design with more ramification in a few years. Pot will help Smile

How is the tree going to correct itself over the next few years? These things don't happen by themselves in fact in the case of what you have going on here it is more likely it will get much worse. You need to decide on reducing the effect of that unattractive knuckle every thing is growing out of. Just my opinion.
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 am

Thomas Urban wrote:No worries, it was your natural response and your opinion, which is useful feedback. I would rather have that reaction than some artificial back patting.

You wrote---Pot will help. No it wont. You are looking at the wrong solutions. You can put a pig in a tuxedo and only have a pig in a tuxedo nothing more. The only thing you can do is make bacon. OK so there are the smart ass remarks. You are going to have to reduce down that mess in the middle of the tree. You have one branch coming out of the middle of the knuckle going straight up that I would remove. I would cut out or jin the majority of the branches growing out of the left of the knuckle and redesign the tree from the two or three major branches you have left growing on the right. You can also carve down the excess mass forming the knuckle of the left of the tree to lessen the effect of the mass.
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks for your feedback and advice Vance.

This will not be a normal bonsai tree but rather something strange you find in the higher elevations of the Alps. This is the reason I grabbed it and I see that it is causing negative emotional feedback because it isn't following the standard Bonsai rules right now.
There are a few things that I plan on cutting off but I will wait until mid-summer to see further what makes sense in this design. I'm sure it will change anyway since we're always pushing the trees to be aesthetically proportional and they are always trying to grow into a dense canopy, with maximum photosynthetic efficiency regardless of our intended design.
The knuckle is a common trait of high alpine trees where many newly formed leaders fight against each other for dominance.

I have a few single trunk trees and I think if one only makes single trunk trees with branches that go side to side, then one is extremely limited to otherwise interesting possibilities.

I'm not sure about the "smart-ass remarks" comment? Were you referring to the pigs in a tuxedo comment or to what I wrote earlier? I genuinely appreciate all kinds of feedback, that was not being a smart-ass.

Here are some awesome trees that I've been inspired by. : ) They all have some sort of aspect I would like to incorporate into the design:

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi, just recently re-potted into another Jiři Svačina container

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: