Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed

+2
AlainK
Vlad
6 posters

Go down

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed Empty Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed

Post  Vlad Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm

The right top quarter of the crown  is missing some more wood.  I have started to think about rearranging the branches into that place - something I would hate to do normally - but luckily a new bud has formed there in the spring and there is a new cherished branchlet now.  

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 07110

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 09010

Height: 35 cm
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed Empty Re: Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed

Post  AlainK Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Another very nice tree with a lot of potential.

Vlad wrote:The right top quarter of the crown  is missing some more wood.  I have started to think about rearranging the branches into that place - something I would hate to do normally - but luckily a new bud has formed there in the spring and there is a new cherished branchlet now.  

With the leaves, it looks OK. Show us how ugly it is in winter Laughing
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed Empty Re: Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed

Post  Vlad Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 am

AlainK wrote:Show us how ugly it is in winter Laughing

What? It has taken me a good amount of time spent on the ACDsee to add some more folliage and you want me to share the winter image?  Shocked

The bonsai aficionados are difficult the please Smile
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Another excellent tree Vlad!

The dead wood is really well proportioned and nicely worked, dramatic but not over powering.

I like it but would also be interested in seeing a winter image (has it dropped it's leaves yet?).

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm

@Alain & Richard: thank you guys. I am happy not being the only one who likes this little mahaleb.

Folliage: It is like in the very old add promoting a toothpaste : " Still working" . I guess it will be available in Nov.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed Empty Winter silhouette

Post  Vlad Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am

Latest update.  

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 00411

Plans for the next season:
Early spring: New pot
Seasonal: More wood in the top right quarter, branch structure improvement and refinement (defoliation in May and possibly JUly/August)
Summer: Cherry picking Cool
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Fantastic tree Vlad! Even better out of leaf.

I agree it would benefit from more wood in the top right. Personally I prefer to see a broader "crown" on deciduous trees rather than a triangular "apex". At the moment it does look a bit "coniferous".

That's only my inexpert opinion of course, it's all subjective Wink

Still a very attractive, powerful little tree either way.

Cheers

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 am

Thank you, Richard. In 2/3 years it will look the way I plan. Maybe still more like a pine but I am not a keen follower of the current fashion Cool
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Well which ever way you take it I'm sure it will look great. Thanks for the update and look forward to future instalments Very Happy

Cheers

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Very nice silhouette...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Vlad wrote:
Plans for the next season:
Early spring: New pot
Seasonal: More wood in the top right quarter, branch structure improvement and refinement (defoliation in May and possibly JUly/August)
Summer: Cherry picking Cool

Learning from this post:
1. Do not plan
2. If you insist on planning than do not put it in writing
3. If you put your plans on paper than do not complain you look stupid

Summer 2018

As the new pot has not been finished by the time of transplanting I have used a pot that was available.  Not a good fit but still better than the plastic pot.  The top right hand quarter of the crown has been filled with some ugly looking quick wood.  It should be improved in next couple of years.  I hope.  No plans though, just plain hopes.

Due to the strange weather ( very cold March and very hot summer ) I have decided to skip the planned defoliation on this tree.

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 00110
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 pm

"The best laid plans of mice and men..." Wink

despite the small setbacks, still a solid plan...
looking forward to the next winter image as well...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I like the crown of the tree moving to the viewer's left. It has motion. If it were mine, I likely would keep the 2017 unbalanced, left moving profile, as it is dynamic. With a round profile, the tree will look fairly static. A static image does imply different set and setting, and can look nice, but the original looked good as well.
Leo
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Pretty good observation, Leo. I like it. The tree will benefit from more wood around the crown, though. I need to make a good branch structure in a "winter look" and then I need to blend it with the foliage. Somehow... Cool
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:14 am

I think it should tilt forwards some more, like 4-6 degrees more. Still seems to fall away.

Great tree.

Tell me AlainK is AAC!?!? Laughing
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 am

I am always wondering why the trees in pots should have the top tilted forward. A bow to the viewer? A perception of a well matured/tall tree in the Nature - I have always a feeling that the tree is inclined over me...
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed Empty New pot has arrived

Post  Vlad Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Winter 2019.

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 045_ib10

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 060_ib10

New wood fired pot made by Martin Asenbrenner.   Very happy about it.  It will make a great match with slightly bigger tree one day...
Tree dimensions: H: 34 cm  W: 35 cm

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 065_ib10

Prunus mahaleb No10_some more wood badly needed 067_ib10

Front/Back Inclination:
I have kept the apex  +/- in the centre  above the base.  
Moving apex forward towards the viewer makes more sense with increasing height of the tree.  Trees over 80 cm with apex leaning towards the viewer look very natural.  Small trees like this one having the same inclination will look much smaller ( which may not be bad ) but also in my oppinion at least a bit submissive.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down