Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watering: sense and sensibility

+9
M. Frary
my nellie
Bolero
Khaimraj Seepersad
augustine
BrendanR
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
geoffm5eay
Yamato
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Watering: sense and sensibility - Page 2 Empty Re: Watering: sense and sensibility

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 am

As rain goes October is I believe our 9 " [ 23 cm ] of rain month, and then we drop back to
6 " [ 15 cm ] for November, the Dry season restarting at 1.6" [ 4 cm ] for December.

Unless it rains for 20 minutes at a given rate, the core of the elder plants will not get wet.
So break out the watering can.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Watering: sense and sensibility - Page 2 Empty Re: Watering: sense and sensibility

Post  M. Frary Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:As rain goes October is I believe our 9 " [ 23 cm ] of rain month, and then we drop back to
6 " [ 15 cm ] for November, the Dry season restarting at 1.6" [ 4 cm ] for December.

Unless it rains for 20 minutes at a given rate, the core of the elder plants will not get wet.
So break out the watering can.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Did Anthony say anything about me visiting you guys in the future Khai?
I told him once that if I ever get the time and money I was coming down to visit.
He said anytime.
I plan on holding him to it.
If I do come I'll bring you guys some snow.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Very often the canopy of a tree sheds almost all water to the outer edges. This is for a good reason, as in nature the majority of feeder roots will be growing in this zone. Inside that and under the canopy the roots are all thicker and do not absorb water. In bonsai we have changed the dynamic so that the feeder roots are all in the pot and the canopy usually extends further than the pot edges. This is the primary reason for the need to water, even after it has been raining, sometimes quite heavily. This does differ according to species and leaf/needle density but as a general rule it does mean that one should never rely solely on rainfall.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Hey Kevin,

I like that.
Very Sensible.

Now the tamarind knew a few thousands of years ago that some pest would bonsai it
and it learned to close leaves in at night and with rainy days.
Of course that made it unpopular with the Chinese who could not display it indoors. Laughing

Gogeerah [ Mike ]

All are welcome [ especially you / Alexandra and the Sorce ].

I built the place at Mayaro [ with cool breezes year around ] for my friends, who are
artists and at times moody.
I am on the other side of the island, so no one suffocates the other with too much
presence.

Let me know in advance what you like to do, so I can fix a situation for you to relax
and enjoy --------- say fishing --------- tree chopping [ Oh Anthony, you had to have me
type that Laughing ] He is standing next to me as I type. It's gumbo lunch with a touch of
Moruga scorpion pepper. What my sister calls ------ Bun bottom food [ Burnt Butt ]

Let me know what you eat as well. A good many foreigners cannot handle curry for
example.

My soil also, if dry is immediately wet-able, so even if went bone dry, one pass of
the watering can will soak in. Nothing repels.
Laters.
Khaimraj

*If you are lucky Gogeerah, Toco will also be ready, so you can hang out in the jungle,
and on the seacoast.
Don't fuss, the area in Toco also has close to 40 large houses, 50 feet apart.

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:16 pm

You guys are way too nice!
I'll let you know in advance for sure if I ever can.
Awesome.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm

for those who disagree about a shallow pot holding more water longer than a deep pot, try a simple experiment...

soak a sponge in water and then hold it flat/horizontal (by the edges) and observe what the water does (or doesnt do)

then hold it vertical and see what it does... Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 pm

geoffm5eay wrote:Both. We have had frosts to -10C and my Maples are always get whatever comes. The only ones I take under cover to keep drier is the Trident Maples. I also put my White Pines under the cover for the same reason.
Geoff.

That is true. Protect Tridents from heavy frost or low temperatures is in a pot. The roots along the outside of the pot will turn into snot/mucus/or puss due to extreme temperatures. Suggest placing the tree and pot in a box filled with something that will insulate the tree.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:for those who disagree about a shallow pot holding more water longer than a deep pot, try a simple experiment...

soak a sponge in water and then hold it flat/horizontal (by the edges) and observe what the water does (or doesnt do)

then hold it vertical and see what it does... Wink

People do not take into account the force of gravity on a water column.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

The height of water penetration due to the capillarity will be the same in all containers ( providing the same conditions/substrate/ etc are observed ).  If it is 2 cm in the shallow container it will be the same in the much deeper one.  If the two type of containers ( shallow and deep ) would have the same diameter then the amount of water kept by capillarity will be the same in both of them.  

Shallow pots are normally wider then the deep ones and contains less substrate. They should loose water more rapidly due to the higher level of evaporation - less substrate&bigger surface=higher temperature ( again same conditions including the quality of pots,  their color etc.  )
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubba Ho-tep Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:09 pm

i usually dont water until i need to, feel the soil......and ask the tree ..... Idea
Bubba Ho-tep
Bubba Ho-tep

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:... ...Gogeerah [ Mike ]
All are welcome [ especially you / Alexandra and the Sorce ].
I built the place at Mayaro [ with cool breezes year around ] for my friends, who are  
artists and at times moody.
I am on the other side of the island, so no one suffocates the other with too much
presence... ...
Thank you so very much for your Galatian courtesy. I am honored indeed.
I wish I could visit you and meet you and Anthony in person...
If I could, I wouldn't mind your presence, dear friend Very Happy

PS : someone should inform Sorce on B-Nut of you mentioning him Bagpiper
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2