Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air layering crabapple tree

3 posters

Go down

Air layering crabapple tree  Empty Air layering crabapple tree

Post  Charles553tree Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 am

I have a 2 1/2 inch Crabapple branch that I am here layering I am starting to see routes but some of the branch is starting to dry out. The crabapple probably needed watering on the moss should I cut it off now and pot it or keep it watered and possibly get more roots?

Charles553tree

Back to top Go down

Air layering crabapple tree  Empty Re: Air layering crabapple tree

Post  augustine Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:59 pm

When did you apply the layer? 2-1/2 is a large branch to air layer. Bottom line is that you always want to have lots of roots. Therefore to answer your question directly, do not separate 'til there's lots of roots.

As far as keeping moss wet, cut holes on the top and bottom of the material holding the moss and use a little syringe to inject water. (You can use the little bulb type syringe that is used for ear cleaning.) you want bottom holes so excess can drain.

Also I read that some varieties of Malus will not root or layer but others will.

As an example I air layered a 2 inch American Elm. Left the layer on from April to March of the following year. It took that much time but worked out well. Maybe I overdid it but there did not appear to be enough roots by the end of the first summer. I tied bubble wrap around the layer over the winter to insulate it.

Good luck

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles553tree Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 am

Thank you that is exactly what I'm going to do . I think it was April when I started the airlaying I think I could've added more moss would it be too late to rewrap it and add more Moss? Also I'm having a difficult time air layering my redbud tree in my backyard .

Charles553tree

Back to top Go down

Post  bilbo Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

without seeing pictures of your setup, I'm not sure I'd recommend adding more moss.
Now that you have roots, remember as new roots they're fairly delicate and not yet woody.
Disrupting their environment to add more moss could break them.

If the branch (not the rest of the tree) is drying out, and IF that is because the moss on the layer was dry, that may be a sign the branch is now, or will soon be ready to cut off.
As the newly rooted base takes over, the former avenues of moisture up from the original parts of the tree begin to be interrupted by the physiology of the newly rooted section.

If you have roots now, I'd add water as needed and continue to watch them for progress.
Even without more moss, they should continue to grow, like any other root bound tree would.

bilbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down