Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

juniper tip blight or diplodia

3 posters

Go down

juniper tip blight or diplodia Empty juniper tip blight or diplodia

Post  ironman Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm

juniper tip blight or diplodia Img_7110
juniper tip blight or diplodia Img_7111
juniper tip blight or diplodia Img_7110
I have a question concerning what was diagnosed as Juniper Tip Blight or diplodia. I have an ashe juniper with 'rust' on the growing tips. I pluck the dead tips off and have been spraying with a copper fungicide but it has not abated or stopped or contained the spread. If left unchecked the tips die, then the twig, then the branch, etc...
I believe the cause was too much overhead watering - now all overhead watering has stopped.

Any help or suggestions will really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ironman

Back to top Go down

juniper tip blight or diplodia Empty Re: juniper tip blight or diplodia

Post  M. Frary Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Maybe it's because they're growing upside down.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Why don't you contact your local agricultural extension service? You can get free advice. (Just google for the local extension service)

Secondly can you make contact with anyone in the closest bonsai club? I'm sure there are local bonsai practitioners with this species.

Good luck.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  ironman Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks for the advice, augustine. I've done both and neither proved productive.
The best advice I received was from Colon Lewis I got over the weekend... Very Happy
I include the advice for others who may run across the same problem;

There are a few fungal infections that attack juniper tips and it's hard to tell them apart without a laboratory! However, I've found that either Daconil or Mancozeb seem to do the trick, depending on what the problem is. I would recommend alternating between the two weekly until the problem goes away or the tree dies Razz

Order both on the internet and the first will be applied this afternoon. I'll post the results.

ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Good for you to get Colin's advice. I bet it will be OK if you follow his advice. One of my friends in CT deals with this constantly.

I always take my plants out of the hot sun before applying anything. Put it in the shade, spray and put it out in the sun the next day.

You may also want to treat every spring whether the problem is evident or not. Good luck.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  ironman Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm

Update 6/29/17
I have applied the two fungicides - one each week, a week apart as suggested and and VERY happy to report that after the treatments, the diplodia has not reappeared and the tree branches have no new issues. There are new shoots Very Happy

ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Great news and good to know

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down